Painting fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I want to permanently paint my initials on my fins. Any suggestions on the best paint and methods to use?

Should work on rubber.
upload_2021-5-30_22-39-18.jpeg

I used a sharpie on mine 5 years ago and it is still very legible. My fins are blue cressi reaction.

-Z

I use super cheap low quality paint markers from China. For whatever reason the markings don't seem to chip off like they do from the expensive paint pens.

I use Brite-Mark or Sharpie paint markers, and they last for years. Those just happen to be the brands I have, but I would use whichever paint markers I find. They might fade slightly every couple of years, and I just go over them again.

On my black fins (Hollis F1s) I use a white china marker (grease pencil) to put a design on bottom of them. It does wear off over time however just reapply.

Once you find a good paint, I suggest you also write your phone number on your fins, along with your initials.

We find fins lost off our local beach diving sites. The ones with phone numbers are usually reunited with their owners. The fins with just initials are not.

I use super cheap low quality paint markers from China. For whatever reason the markings don't seem to chip off like they do from the expensive paint pens.
Where would you find these markers Amazon or Alibaba? I found as long as I cleaned the parts well with Dawn or some degreaser, it lasted a season. I touched it up this season. I wrote on them with white oil based sharpie on black jet style fins. Orange didn't stand out as well.

I forget, I think I bought them off eBay. It was a dozen for about $3 or $4 delivered. Some of them painted fine others let a flood out when you pushed the tip. Overall they've worked well for me. The paint on my fins still looks good after a couple years of diving. Whatever you use be sure to clean the area with solvent and give it a light scuffing with some fine sandpaper before marking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom