New Xdeep regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They’re here.

DE902813-6D42-4C29-BF22-448036D85C03.jpeg

From what I have heard unofficially, servicing will only be done thru dealerships. However someone may know more.

I like xDeep (dive their wings every time I splash) but I’m forever stuck on self-service.

I'm assuming its environmentally sealed diaphragm design?

First look.

I set up the xDeep regs for a doubles setup. I did not have a chance to put on a magnahelic for an objective comparison. However, the cracking pressure and inhalation effort subjectively seems to be on par with an Atomic second stage. This was quite surprising to me as I consider a well tuned Atomic second stage to be the standard.

I have not yet torn the xDeep second stage down yet, but it appears that the orifice may be polymer. If that is the case, it needs to be changed to a metal like the Atomics.

The first stage appears to be as innovative as claimed. The lockable rotating turret is quite unique. This allows for really clean hose routing like that which can be achieved with the superb Mares diaphram 72x and 75x. Those don’t have a turret, but achieve hose routing by virtue of having 8 low pressure ports on different surfaces of the regulator body. Like the piston Atomics, the turret is smooth and tight on the diaphram xDeep. This is in comparison to many other competing turret based piston first stages which are definitely not. It comes from the factory environmentally sealed, which the 72x does not.

You can route hoses from the turret whichever way and then lock it in position. There is a very minute amount of rotation with it locked in place as the locking bolt is slightly smaller than the locking groove. It does not affect the performance and may be necessary so the finish is not scratched when installing the bolt. The locking bolt probably needs some locktite as it does not appear to have any kind of nylon liner like a nylock nut to prevent it from unscrewing.

Because there are also Lp ports in the regulator body, the turret allows two Lp hoses to be aligned in the same plane. No cylindrical piston first stage can do that. This is what enables the first stage to have such clean hose routing for backmount doubles setups. Since I prefer to run my drysuit hose off of the right post, there are no bad bends as the bcd inflator and drysuit inflator hoses can exit the regulator parallel to each other while the long hose is still exiting down the other side.

Some may say that the reg is not DIR due to the extra oring required by the turret. Then again many Halcyon and Scubapro first stages also have turrets.

I will be testing the regs with a backmount independent doubles rig later this week in Florida in both fresh and salt water.

I had the opportunity to test the xdeep regs in Vortex Spring this last weekend for several dives. The overall performance was as good as an Atomic regulator setup. One thing that I did have to get used to is the manual venturi switch. The venturi switch on Atomic second stages is automatic. Having personally tested these regulators, I feel comfortable releasing them for demo purposes. I will be at lake travis this sunday, if anyone is interested in taking a look.

I will be releasing a video on the xdeep regs on youtube under the dive zone scuba channel shortly.

I had the opportunity to test the xdeep regs in Vortex Spring this last weekend for several dives. The overall performance was as good as an Atomic regulator setup. One thing that I did have to get used to is the manual venturi switch. The venturi switch on Atomic second stages is automatic. Having personally tested these regulators, I feel comfortable releasing them for demo purposes. I will be at lake travis this sunday, if anyone is interested in taking a look.

I will be releasing a video on the xdeep regs on youtube under the dive zone scuba channel shortly.
That’s a great point actually. Where does one find service kits for xdeep? Apparently they can get serviced anywhere apeks are authorised. Do they have oem service kits?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom