overfilling LP steels and burst disks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago I put the higher pressure burst disks in my double LP 108s just prior to my annual trip to Florida. My first stop was open ocean diving in south Florida. When I prepared to put my tanks on the boat, the guy who filled them told me that he had detected a tiny leak in one of my burst disks and had fixed it. I figured he had tightened it.

On my way home, I stopped at Marianna and took them at Cave Adventurers for filling and left for a while. When I came back, the shop was a real mess. It look like a tornado had passed through. "What happened here?" I asked?

Well, it turned out that the guy in South Florida had actually replaced my burst disk with a standard low pressure disk. I think everyone who was at Cave Adventurers when my tanks were being filled will remember that day.

They have plugs now.

The burst disk should have the psi number right on it. What does yours say?

5250! Funny.. all these years and I never took notice. Tell I purchased a LP tank.

thanks!

When I first got my LP108's I left the discs they came with in there. They never did blow when cave filled. When the tanks got their first hydro, the shop upgraded my discs.

I dunno, maybe he put the bigger ones in when I first bought the tanks from him. I specifically bought those tanks for cave fills, and I bought them from the shop that does the fills so...

I had one on a 108 let go during a fill. The amount of energy released nearly flipped my tank upside down. Knocked out ceiling tiles, paper blown everywhere.

When it let go I thought, well, this is how it ends. We all ran and a couple seconds later I realized if it were the tank I wouldn't still be standing.

The plugs are what is done in Europe too correct? As they don't use burst disks.

Burst discs are illegal on scuba tanks in Europe. The valves don't have the port machined into them or they use solid plugs, but most of the valves don't have them.

Do dive shops in cave country temporarily replace the 5250 burst discs with the "legal" LP burst disks when they send tanks for hydro?

Doh. I guess that was a dumb question. So when @tbone1004 said "they must go around 90% of hydro pressure" he meant that after hydro is performed (or really, whenever) the burst disc that is installed needs to be selected based on the hydro pressure?
Once burst discs are taken out, they need to be trashed. The hydro shop couldn't care less what burst disc is in there, they don't do any valve work other than MAYBE replace the o-ring. If you take it through a dive shop and they service the valve they will likely put the correct disc in there, but most cave divers take their bottles directly to the hydro shop.

The burst disk should have the psi number right on it. What does yours say?

From my limited experience, the replacement discs have the actual burst pressure stamped on them in ink, and the replaceable assemblies have the service pressure, of the tank being protected, physically stamped into the top of the assembly so it is visible when installed.

Does anyone know where I can get a 5000+ disk for my Spare Air? I'd like to get an additional breath from it. :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom