What do you do with keys while shore diving on Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last year I went for a boat dive. Standard 35m/120' wreck dive off the UK south coast. Typically I take my bags on to the boat and come back for the rebreather. I closed and locked the car and without thinking I clipped them off to my chest D-ring.

Lovely day. Sunny, nice people, all’s fine with the world.

Got kitted up, pre-breathed the box and jumped in. Nice visibility, not too cold. Lovely.

After about 15 minutes I noticed my car keys dangling from my chest D-ring where I’d left them. Pillock, or words to that effect, I said to myself. Alongside the Subaru Forester key was my garage transmitter key. Now what I thought. The keys would be buggered by now, so may as well continue the dive.

Was annoying as I’d have to get the wife to come down with a spare key, so resigned myself to my fate.

Finally got back to port and went back to the car.

Well slap my thigh…. Pressed the unlock button and the car unlocked! The key had withstood an hour at 35m/120' plus 30ish mins of decompression!

When home I opened the garage key, rinsed it under the tap and removed the battery. Dried it, replaced the battery and it too worked!

I’m a tad more careful now but tend to keep the key in my under suit pocket, inside the drysuit.

you mean the DRYFOB? Lots of margin. Really just wanted to claim recreational dive limits so got the official ipx8 rating as such. Dive lab did multiple tests at 200 fsw to give a 1.5x margin, we kept them at 260 for 24hrs in our own pressure test setup

I understand what you're saying but it's probably more of a "marketing" thing. Look at an Orcatorch or Princeton Tec light that have similar construction as your product and what they claim their water resistance depth to be. As a retired Engineer I see 130' and I trust it to 65'. (Especially with a $300 key fob up at Nukove.)

PSA: Buddy Dive did upgrade their trucks, and they provide a dry-case for the keys when you rent the truck. Use THEIR case and if it leaks, they take responsibility. Use YOUR case instead, and any loss/water/harm is on you.

PSA: Buddy Dive did upgrade their trucks, and they provide a dry-case for the keys when you rent the truck. Use THEIR case and if it leaks, they take responsibility. Use YOUR case instead, and any loss/water/harm is on you.
Mine leaked. Every dive!

And mine did not. So what do we conclude from our careful scientific analysis?
Stuff happens!

seriously though, after the first time it leaked I took it apart, cleaned it, lubed the o-ring, etc. next dive the only difference was that it was full of water and clean

Stuff happens!

seriously though, after the first time it leaked I took it apart, cleaned it, lubed the o-ring, etc. next dive the only difference was that it was full of water and clean
Did the fob still work after flooding?

Back
Top Bottom