The Great Helium Hunt of 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Currently in Detroit area, I can get it for $2.35-50 per cubic foot. Paid $155 for 21/35 on superfilled LP 95s.

I just paid 350 usd for a T here in Croatia, is that good or bad in US standards?

AN/Helitrox starts in a couple of weeks. It’s going to be an adventure getting helium, so I decided to have some fun with it.

I’m in the Chicago area and several shops do He fills. If they have it is another matter.

Shop A - closest to me (still an hour), plus will overfill my 85s a bit.

Shop B - bit further away

Shop C - my instructor’s shop two hours away. Not a ton of He. Their divers are overwhelmingly CCR. Gas hog OC divers take a lot of He so I’m doing my best to source it elsewhere.

Shop D - near dive site 4-4.5 hours away. They have He (talked to the owner a few days ago when diving up there), but logistics make it difficult to get It here.

Shop A does not currently have He. Not sure if they can get it. Checking on availability. Has had several other requests for He fills.

Waiting for Shop B to get back to me.

I’ve contacted Shop D, but waiting for a response. My issue is that I would arrive in town about 10pm and it’s unrealistic and not nice to expect the shop to do fills for class the next morning.

If I got really desperate, I have sources in the Detroit area and Ohio, but those are 5-7 hours each way.

And, no, going CCR is not an option. :D
What grade of He are you going to use?

What grade of He are you going to use?
If she is buying it in the USA from a dive shop, it’s likely uhp or 5.0 or 99.995% pure

I just paid 350 usd for a T here in Croatia, is that good or bad in US standards?

For current prices in my area, that’s pretty decent.

The last time I swapped out bottles at the fill plant (couple months ago) it was ~ $1.00/cuft for industrial (99.998%)

Helium pricing is why a lot of tech divers mix their own gas. It helps to keep the cost down. No businesses I know locally sell enough helium to really be worth the time, hassle of mixing, and risk of loss. They carry it mostly as a courtesy.

Currently in Detroit area, I can get it for $2.35-50 per cubic foot. Paid $155 for 21/35 on superfilled LP 95s.
Is that bulk pricing or at a shop?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom