Taxi hostages and running the gauntlet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll step out and say this - the cab drivers here in Cozumel - I have yet to meet a bad one. They are in general great guys and gals......

That has certainly been our experience.

There have been a handful of times when the correct fare was 40, and we were charged 50 - hardly worthy of jail time, or even nasty remarks.

The times that we have been overcharged have been more than offset by extreme courtesies.

What's considered fair when you're traveling to a less expensive country?

For example, Bangkok international airport to an accommodation I had frequented is 40 THB by Skyway, 150 THB by metered taxi and 500 THB off meter. 500 THB is still only $16-17 USD, not crazy in US terms, so is 3x+ times the price considered fair?

We retired here because medical care is exceptional and affordable. I had a life threatening illness that required a 5 day hospitalization. I will be forever grateful for the care. The taxi/shuttle arrangement is no secret. The airline knew. I have seen airline crew arrive at the airport in a taxi van. No doubt that the hotel had warning what was going to happen. Shame on United and Hotel Cozumel for letting it become a total sh*t show.

I just read this thread. I got back from Cozumel last night. If this had happened to me, i think i would have pulled the cab driver out of his vehicle, kicked his ass and moved his cab

I just read this thread. I got back from Cozumel last night. If this had happened to me, i think i would have pulled the cab driver out of his vehicle, kicked his ass and moved his cab
Very macho, but no, I don't think you would have done that. You would have gotten beat up, arrested, or (most likely) both.

You guys are really making me want to visit Cozumel :rofl3: I'll stick with diving in the US.

Arrested maybe
You don't think it was the action of a single cab driver, do you? The taxi union had their army there, I'll wager. I doubt you would have even gotten close to the cab that was blocking the drive, if indeed it was only one. The prudent course of action would have been to sit back and let the players work it out. Displaying your machismo would have been the wrong course, and it would not have accomplished anything good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom