Scubapro Hydros Pro descending difficulty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disal

Registered
Reaction score
I have a brand new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD and took it on 4 dives. I have tried both 12 and 10 lbs weight. I had trouble descending with the BCD. It seems to float and It’s not easy to descend. Once I can descend it works fine but for both 12 and 10lbs I need a bit of air in BCD to achieve natural buoyancy at the bottom. I have tried the release valves on the front and bottom of the bcd but they did not help.

Does anyone have the same issue? How do you descend easily with the BCD without adding too much weight?

I use the hydros too, don't really have that problem. When I'm in my double 6.5 mm wetsuit (full suit and shorty with hood over it) I need 8 kilograms (about 17,5 lbs) in salt water, with a 12 liter steel cylinder.
What's your equipment when you're diving? Salt or fresh water? Did you do a weight check?

I haven't used a traditional BC since OW class, but it sounds like you're simply too light. At the beginning of the dive you have 5-6 pounds of air in your tank to compensate for, so if you're only adding a "bit of air" you probably aren't carrying enough lead to compensate for it's eventual use. What is the state of the BC at the end of the dive? It should be nearly empty, while still allowing you to hold your last stop comfortably.

Reactions: BZS
You may still have air trapped in the bcd. The pull dump valves are not always in the optimal position. I would return to using your power inflator over your head to make sure all the air has been expelled. Me, I do head first descents and use the bottom dump valve without issue. Been diving recreational dives with the Hydros Pro now for 3 years.

I've been diving with a Hydros pro since they came out. I've not had the problem you are describing.
I have seen air trapped by the bungee cords. usually when a diver is in a horizontal orientation.
I have also seen when the air bladder is off sided due to the bungees being unequal. This causes the air to be trapped.

Your new BCD may have different buoyancy than your old?

Do a simple test. Deflate the BCD and test to see how much weight is required to sink it.

My last BCD swap required 3 extra pounds to sink a "floaty" BCD. My prior BCD was neutral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom