What is the fundamental reason that prevents scuba diving from becoming popular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think diving is not popular. I know for certain that a lot more people are getting dive certs than pilot certs. One of the reasons is definitelly cost.
While scuba can be costly, one 7 day dive trip with my club, transport, accomodation, meals included would give me about 3 hours of flight time. With side benefit of being on vacation. Worst case scenario would give me about 5 hours.
Second is location. While I know this is not common, I have river right bellow my bedroom window to scratch that itch and another river 10 minutes away. Sea is 3 hours drive. And unlimited access to 3 compressors, 2 of which are completely free and one for 1/6th of servicing costs.
Initial cost can be a lot, but while some people are going second-hand route, I know that I didn't do it because I was not comfortable enough with my knowledge to be able to decide what is a good buy and what is not. With that in mind, I bought everything new and when you figure in the fact that all of my original purchases are still going strong after 6 years, even that initial cost isn't too much of a deal. Now, with more experience and with me self servicing my equipment, I guess that cost, when the time comes, will be even lower.
Fills, setting and dissmantling equipment is a hassle, but I know of no equipment involved hobby that doesn't have the same.

Snow skiing has one disadvantage that diving does not: the lack of snow in unusually warm periods. This happened to my family when we planned a trip to Granite peak in Wisconsin for a ski weekend. As we were driving north in January one year the temperature was nearing 70 degF. There was no snow in sight. Before we got halfway there we canceled the trip because of no snow. Divers are not going to run out of water.

One disadvantage of diving that isn't present in other sports (except maybe mountain climbing) is the fact that when you first learn or go diving independently of instruction you require a buddy. Other sports like biking, skiing, running, etc. you start out on your own then join a group later. For people who enter scuba diving on their own the problem of finding a buddy is what keeps some people from ever diving again and they eventually drop out of the sport altogether. The use of Facebook by dive shops has greatly alleviated this problem by allowing divers to ask for buddies they would not normally have access to.

Honestly I don't think anyone on this board would still want to go for fills if they could have an infinite tank?
I've been diving daily off the same steel 72 originally filled once in 1988. Still has 900psi in it. You just have to get your SAC low enough!

For me, participation in most activities I do, or did, came about by having early experiences with them growing up, doing them in school P.E. or college classes, running in circles of people who did a particular activity, marrying my fantastic wife who had been exposed to many activities, and having opportunity.

I was, for an extended period of years, very active in basketball, volleyball, and bowling; I'm currently very active in tennis, swimming, and golf (lifetime activities I didn't do as a kid.)

Although not an active participant (I don't go places here at home although they are nearby) I love hiking, or maybe it's just walking for me. My actual first trip, since the virus, is to Sedona this fall where I can go on the trails - was just there a few years ago. If my wife could participate (hip issues), I'd do it more often.
Was able to try skiing on the artificial/real snow in the Indiana hills in the early 80's. Although people I was with would have and may have continued, I wasn't interested enough to want to rent gear, bundle up, and drive a few hours for the experience. For being somewhat athletic, I was pretty bad at it. Pretty bad at water skiing also, but great at tubing!

Scuba came about because friends invited us to go to Grand Cayman during a spring break. They were going to get certified before the trip, so we did too. Although we didn't travel out of the country or dive until 7 years after that first diving experience, getting certified back then has really paid off as we are free to travel as much as we want now.

My son is into pickleball - the fastest growing sport in the U.S. - and has been trying to convert me from tennis. Played a couple of times in 2019 and none since, but have watched many of the tournaments my son has played in. Pretty much anyone can play. A very inexpensive and social activity. Show up where people play and they will get you started. Lots of opportunity is around me for this, so I really have no excuse not to play.

How in the heck did I gain so much weight for being as active as I think I am!!!!!

Snow skiing has one disadvantage that diving does not: the lack of snow in unusually warm periods. This happened to my family when we planned a trip to Granite peak in Wisconsin for a ski weekend. As we were driving north in January one year the temperature was nearing 70 degF. There was no snow in sight. Before we got halfway there we canceled the trip because of no snow. Divers are not going to run out of water.

One disadvantage of diving that isn't present in other sports (except maybe mountain climbing) is the fact that when you first learn or go diving independently of instruction you require a buddy. Other sports like biking, skiing, running, etc. you start out on your own then join a group later. For people who enter scuba diving on their own the problem of finding a buddy is what keeps some people from ever diving again and they eventually drop out of the sport altogether. The use of Facebook by dive shops has greatly alleviated this problem by allowing divers to ask for buddies they would not normally have access to.
At least when starting out as a diver you SHOULD have a buddy. It isn't required. But yeah, it is presented to you in a way that you think that everyone buddy dives and the solo diver is insane. And agree, finding a buddy can at times be difficult, depending on your location and situation. Plus, as fun as it is to buddy dive (the overall experience, socializing, etc.), there are hassles. Constantly keeping track of the buddy (oh wait, is that always done?), meeting somewhere, getting air at the shop because the buddy needs to, etc.

New member here and this is my first ever post on this site.

I asked my wife why she don’t want to scuba dive with me and I knew what her answer would be. She is claustrophobic. She says that if she feels like she can’t get a full breath then she will hyperventilate and panic.

I asked my wife why she don’t want to scuba dive with me and I knew what her answer would be. She is claustrophobic. She says that if she feels like she can’t get a full breath then she will hyperventilate and panic.
Yes, that is another aspect of my wife's claustrophobia. She needs air flow around her. Not good with breathing tests or in rooms with no air flow. Perhaps having your wife use a regulator on land may help?

I wonder how many like your wife would overcome their anxiety if their instructor would just have them sit or kneel for the entire session in 3-1/2 ft of water until they got over their anxiety. They would then proceed, in baby steps, to full swimming and skills appropriation.

I wonder how many like your wife would overcome their anxiety if their instructor would just have them sit or kneel for the entire session in 3-1/2 ft of water until they got over their anxiety. They would then proceed, in baby steps, to full swimming and skills appropriation.

The issue goes back to what others have said about learning to snorkel first. If someone is comfortable breathing through a snorkel, they probably will be comfortable breathing through a regulator. If not, then just take baby steps of breathing through a regulator on dry land, and then "in 3-1/2 ft of water," as you said, etc.

For me, participation in most activities I do, or did, came about by having early experiences with them growing up, doing them in school P.E. or college classes, running in circles of people who did a particular activity, marrying my fantastic wife who had been exposed to many activities, and having opportunity.

I think this is a big part of why scuba isnt that popular. Many people just arent exposed to it very much.

Like you and many folks, most of my hobbies I started young, and was/am exposed to them all the time: basketball, cycling, hiking

Scuba was just not on my radar at all. Besides Costeau on the TV, had ZERO exposure to scuba for the first ~27 years of my life. Once I had an opportunity to take a vacation to Cancun/Cozumel, I snorkeled at Chakanaab and saw some divers below me. That planted the seed. I didnt even know that scuba happened locally in NoCalif., but once I did, a few years later, it became viable to me - worth my time and expense to get certified, get gear and start diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom