Need some direction for a upcoming class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh and this is critical @Ulfhedinn
and this tracks for all divers and all classes. Find out what your instructors favorite snacks/drinks are and keep some of them in the cooler so that way when you screw up, you can try to placate them. I don't know what @Capt Jim Wyatt 's are, but with Paul Heinerth bring dark chocolate and red wine, Edd Sorenson is sour patch kids and beef jerky, @mer is prosciutto and cheese, etc etc

@tbone1004 Best info yet! LOL!
@Capt Jim Wyatt So.. spill it...

There will be no direct flights from Calif to G'ville. I believe the only way to get there would be a connecting flight on Silver or American Eagle, turbo prop, and they have a tendency to cancel those flight on a whim, and they are always delayed. I would fly into Orlando/Tampa/Jax and rent a car there. By the time you switch planes and fly the connector flight, you could drive. Jax to G'ville is about an hour +/-, Tampa or Orlando is 2 hours about.

Will look at JAX. See what I can dig up.

Most of the coffee shops don't open early enough for class though, cause this town is weird...

/Check

So bring the percolator and some VALHALLA JAVA ODINFORCE BLEND.

Calling @elgoog . You made this trip out from NorCal for C1. Any tips besides to get the Ginnie Burger at Great Outdoors, because their new menu decimated the burger selection.

yep wtf? Ive never been a huge great outdoors fans, but they decimated the menu for sure. All the stuff I liked is gone. On a side note, The owner of the great outdoors also now owns the diner by ccds. There have now been 5 of us that have gotten food poisoning. And one person that was served a dish with peanuts in it yet the peanuts werent on the menu description and said person has a bad peanut allergy. Its pretty hard to beat lunch at Alices. And theyre breakfast is cheap, very good, and they open up early enough to eat there prior to class. Though you will smell like it and if you’re not used to food from greasy spoon restaurants, you could end up needing to clean out ur undergarments.
To the OP. I would fly into either tampa, orlando, or jacksonville. I live outside of tampa and our airport is hard to beat. Its 2 hours from high springs and is a little easier to navigate around the airport than orlando. You will also have access to anything you would need that you either forget or didnt realize you needed between extreme exposure and cave country dive shop. Dont forget to bring cash for the state parks if you’re in a separate car than your instructor. Also definitely being drinks and snacks and a lunch item. Your instructor will not like having to stop for you to go buy lunch. I would also suggest recruiting a friend to take the class with you. I think taking a cave class with a buddy vs your instructor as your buddy are two very different experiences.

Ginger Ale and oranges/peaches.

Ive never been a huge great outdoors fans, but they decimated the menu for sure. All the stuff I liked is gone. On a side note, The owner of the great outdoors also now owns the diner by ccds. There have now been 5 of us that have gotten food poisoning. And one person that was served a dish with peanuts in it yet the peanuts werent on the menu description and said person has a bad peanut allergy. Its pretty hard to beat lunch at Alices. And theyre breakfast is cheap, very good, and they open up early enough to eat there prior to class.

Agreed---Especially on Alice's

You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant, except Alice.

Agreed---Especially on Alice's

You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant, except Alice.

i love alices. We used to go every time we were in town but my wife’s developed a bad gluten allergy in the past year or so and pretty much everything there is a no go for her. Wish I was able to go as much as I used to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom