If you could change one thing about dive training...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They already do. The only people regularly taught scissors kick today are lifeguards, combat swimmers, and synchronized swimmers.
And it is very efficient when done correctly.

And it is very efficient when done correctly.
Not sure how you measure efficiency. It is relatively low effort, but it's also slow. The advantages of sidestroke are that it keeps your head out of the water, you can avoid splashing, and you can leave one hand free for other things like towing a victim or calling in an airstrike or...
tumblr_molt0iO0My1re1poeo1_400.jpg

Not just what to do when for a lost buddy scenario, but more emphasis on how to avoid loosing a buddy.

Not just what to do when for a lost buddy scenario, but more emphasis on how to avoid loosing a buddy.
Can't argue there. Buddy positioning, frequency of checking each other, etc. When buddy diving, keeping together is the first and kind of only thing that matters, otherwise any buddy assist skills you learned don't matter. And staying together at all times can be a pain in the neck (at times literally). That's one reason why I like solo diving.

In my neck of the ocean, it is easy. That's what dive lights are also used for. For whatever reason, basically no one provides students lights in open water courses. I feel it is mandatory as dive lights are essential for diving even during the day.

Positioning is also key. One of the things I like to emphasize with my students is every time you check your SPG, check where your buddy is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom