Need some direction for a upcoming class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ginger Ale and oranges/peaches.

• White Rock
  • Fever Tree
  • Schweppes
  • Bundaberg Ginger Beer
  • Canada Dry Bold
  • Canada Dry
  • Seagram’s
  • Vernors ginger Drink
  • Trader Joes’ Ginger Beer
  • Ale 8
  • Goya Ginger Beer
  • Q Spectacular
  • Fentimans
  • Reeds Extra Strong Ginger Beer
  • Maine Root Ginger Brew

I have fundies coming up in September here in So Cal then somewhere between Nov of this year and Feb of next I would like to head out to High Springs and take NSS Apprentice Cave and TDI Advanced Nitrox with Capt Jim. Its been about 9 years since I traveled outside of California by plane for any diving and that was pure recreation with the wife in the Caribbean.

I have read all of Capt Jims information and I feel once I get down the letter I will call and cover any loose ends but I'm a planner. I'm just trying to figure out the plan of attack.

I will need a day to look over the area, get the tanks, shake hands with the players, move into my room, get a shakedown from Capt Jim, etc.
X amount of days for the class lets say 5.
Then 1 day of no diving before I fly back.
I need to rent a car and I am guessing I will fly into Gainsville.
Hope to stay at the Rumhouse.
I have all the gear I think I will need and will double check that with Jim before I make my way.
Will need to rent tanks.

Who has made this journey? Tips and Tricks? Food ideas? What am I missing?

Yep I could have burned up Capt Jims ear but I though this would be a good tool for others to use too.
I personally don't like cranky instructors ruining my day. So I make sure my accommodation is five star all the way. It's a long flight and I'm not sure whether resting two days in advance would be appropriate.

I personally don't like cranky instructors ruining my day. So I make sure my accommodation is five star all the way. It's a long flight and I'm not sure whether resting two days in advance would be appropriate.
Have you been to high springs? Are you cave or fundies trained per chance?

• White Rock
  • Fever Tree
  • Schweppes
  • Bundaberg Ginger Beer
  • Canada Dry Bold
  • Canada Dry
  • Seagram’s
  • Vernors ginger Drink
  • Trader Joes’ Ginger Beer
  • Ale 8
  • Goya Ginger Beer
  • Q Spectacular
  • Fentimans
  • Reeds Extra Strong Ginger Beer
  • Maine Root Ginger Brew

Vernors Ginger “Drink”? What the heck is that?! It’s just “Vernors,” which is almost mother’s milk to us Michiganders. :D

also remember that during classes you often will not have time to go get food, so make sure to plan on having easy stuff from the grocery stores for breakfast, lunch, and snacks with dinner being eating out or takeout for lectures.

When I am in town for training, I just get my dinner from Publix. I have to go there to pick up breakfast, and a sandwich/fruit for lunch. And I am often too tried from the class to go anywhere. Besides if I am being honest, with exception of Mia Apa, nothing in High Springs or Alachua has really impressed me.

On the last day I typically swing by Alices for a hot breakfast, and typically Mia Apa for lunch.

Have you been to high springs? Are you cave or fundies trained per chance?
I would like to go there some day. I'm what you would call a quasi-tech diver. I can fly any CCR with one lesson, but I'm certain no one can take off and land a plane with one lesson.

When I am in town for training, I just get my dinner from Publix. I have to go there to pick up breakfast, and a sandwich/fruit for lunch. And I am often too tried from the class to go anywhere. Besides if I am being honest, with exception of Mia Apa, nothing in High Springs or Alachua has really impressed me.

On the last day I typically swing by Alices for a hot breakfast, and typically Mia Apa for lunch.

I have a feeling I will do something similar. I'm a simple eater and can eat the same thing day in a day out. I do that mostly right now but with that being said hot coffee, eggs, taters and bacon made and served by someone else always is optimal.

Surface interval food is usually jerky, apples, protein drink, celery sticks (yes I like celery sticks), etc.

The rum house is fairly stocked for cooking your own food. The grill is new and works well. The coffee pot works well. It used to have a nice tea pot until @Capt Jim Wyatt stole it.
There is a pretty full set of pots and pans.
I usually just buy groceries at Publix and cook at home every night and morning.
If you like a fan, bring one. They master bedroom ceiling fan is wonky enough that you don't want to sleep under it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom