Reminder of boat etiquette as we emerge from covid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha ha! I had someone get REALLY offended at that one, once. They were a very big Bruce Willis fan. So I got Bangkok Women Really Are Fellas stuck in his head.

Until Tom Brady turned the local football team around: Bucs Wide Receivers Always Fumble.

Philippino version:

Breakfast
With
Rice
And
Fish

Those big rigid rolling gear bags are for airplane travel. They do NOT belong on the boat. You need a mesh bag for the boat. If you’re too cheap to spring for a mesh or other soft sided bag for the boat, you shouldn’t be diving.
Mesh bags are cheap. If someone avoids using them, this is more likely an attempt to reduce weight when travelling by air.

Don't be the "talker". You know, the dude (it's typically a guy) who is nervous but doesn't want to show it. He just yacks on and on about where he's dived, in what conditions, how deep, what he's seen, etc, etc. And we all know it's bunk especially when he puts his wetsuit on backwards.
Had one of these on a double dive at Sail Rock, Thailand. Just to set the scene, Sail Rock is like an oasis and 10 or more boats will arrive. There are only two mooring lines so each boat ties to the one in front and so on. It often means you are some way from the dive site in 40m of water when you jump in.

This guy bragged all the way out. He was such a "great" diver he was put in the advanced team who would get in the water first. He talked all through the briefing. One of the salient points in the briefing was when you jump off the back of the boat DO NOT have your ask on your forehead or you will lose it: wear it properly on your face or around your neck.

This guy had his mask on forehead and the second he hit the water in fell off and dropped to 40m. He now had no mask so the whole group of us had to wait on the surface while all the other groups on the boat got in and started their dives before someone could get this guy a spare mask.

We started the dive and after only 20 minutes this guy was down to 50 bar and breathing off the DMs octopus. We all had to end the dive early.

He was relegated to the "beginners" group for the second dive.

He was quiet on the way back.

I guess you've never been on a liveaboard with Aussies or Russians! :drunks:
And add Kiwis to that mix.:cheers:

A add Kiwis to that mix.:cheers:
Oh... d'oh... how could I forget them.

I remember meeting the owner of Siren Fleet (Worldwide Dive & Sail) a few years ago. He was talking about their policy of free beer on board. He said what he lost with the Aussies and Kiwis was made up with the Americans and Europeans.:yeahbaby:

Several times per year I'm asked by another diver why their computer is not acting normally. The usual answer is that you missed a deco stop and are in violation gauge mode. They usually look at me like I am an alien. This happens most frequently with RGBM computers, Cressi, Mares, and Suunto. But this also happens with PZ+, especially if they are diving with someone diving DSAT or Buhlmann, with a GF high of 95.

I have experienced that with divers from China. They complain their DC is not working properly but cannot understand what their DC is telling them anyway. All I can say is thank god for my Perdix. It's not a baby sitter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom