Something's wrong with my bouyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another point: your feelings/sensations at depth are obviously important, but a proper weighting should prioritize two other aspects:
1 - your ability to surface in case of catastrophic failures of buoyancy devices, especially if you do not have redundancy (dry-suit or double-bladder bcd); usually, if you have ditchable weights, this isn't a major issue, but you need to consider it;
2 - your ability to hold a stop at 3m with your tanks almost empty.

Did you do these tests?

1. Are you saying I should be able to swim up after I ditch the weights without the BCD inflating? (ie., I have to be able to carry the ~10lbs tank)
2. Admittedly, never done this. I grab the boat line for SS because if I don't kick my fins, I'd sink and if I kick, I'd go up ... (Please don't get mad - I know I'm a noob ... still learning the hovering thing)

There's three "Core" skills to scuba diving: buoyancy, finning and trim.

The critical skill in scuba diving is buoyancy, specifically being neutral in the water, so remaining at the same depth if you stop finning (literally cross your legs to stop finning). This needs practice as you're balancing any gas in your BCD with the ambient pressure of the water.

Pool time's good for this as it's the top 6m/20' that's the hardest. You should be able to hover 15cm/6' above the pool bottom and remain still.

Of course you're then into the other two "core" skills: trim (being horizontal / flat in the water as this is the most streamlined position) and finning effectively -- including not finning!

Because once i'm at the bottom, my chest sinks and my feet float higher - made it hard to swim comfortably.
I'd like to be in a state where my upper body could go a fit higher than my feets

That's trim, not buoyancy.

1. Are you saying I should be able to swim up after I ditch the weights without the BCD inflating? (ie., I have to be able to carry the ~10lbs tank)

Yes. This point is critical: if your BCD fails, and you cannot swim up - well, you better hope to find somebody able to help you, or you will never surface again. Not a good plan.

2. Admittedly, never done this. I grab the boat line for SS because if I don't kick my fins, I'd sink and if I kick, I'd go up ...

This exercise is critical, too; find a way to do this test. The result of this test will tell you if you are over/under/properly weighted. Given your tanks almost empty (less than 40bar, I don't know in psi) and your BCD empty:
- if you tend to sink, you are overweighted
- if you tend to float, you are underweighted
- if you are stable, your weight is ok
Do this test without kicking! I believe it is pretty hard for a novice to do this test in the blue (that is, with the only reference of the boat line). I would do it on a platform (it doesn't matter if artificial or natural)

(Please don't get mad - I know I'm a noob ... still learning the hovering thing)

Out of curiosity, during your OW course, did you do the mask removal and the gas sharing exercises in neutral buoyancy or with your knees on the bottom?

EDIT:
1) when I said that the exercises would tell you if you are properly weighted, I meant only in terms of the amount of weight, not in terms of weight distribution - weight distribution is another thing
2) no reason to get mad :)

Reactions: OTF
2. Admittedly, never done this. I grab the boat line for SS because if I don't kick my fins, I'd sink and if I kick, I'd go up ... (Please don't get mad - I know I'm a noob ... still learning the hovering thing)

No one is mad and have all been where you are now.

Hmmm 40'. How much wetsuit compression would our new diver friend be experiencing at that point? I'm now reconsidering my comment in that regard.

Hmmm 40'. How much wetsuit compression would our new diver friend be experiencing at that point? I'm now reconsidering my comment in that regard.
It's still pretty sizeable. I'd guess in the 8-12 pound range. Remember that 50% of the maximum compression is going to occur at just 1ATM deep (10m/33ft).

since she uses an anchor line she just needs to be at 15-20 feet deep for her SS with 500-600 psi in her steel 100. she can let go of the line with no air in her BC and see if she floats, sinks or is neutrally buoyant and adjust from there. She can grab the line again if need be. She can have 2 pound increments in accessible pockets and if she sinks then remove 2 pounds and see how she does and so on...If she floats then she can try 2 more pounds to see if she can be neutral.one of her dive buddies can help..It would be best if she did a dive to 40 feet first to make sure any compression and removal of air in her wetsuit, hood etc..

Out of curiosity, during your OW course, did you do the mask removal and the gas sharing exercises in neutral buoyancy or with your knees on the bottom?

We did all these while kneeling on the ocean floor ...

2) no reason to get mad :)

You'd be surprised by the number of divemasters that went at me (and often my dive buddies) with "Omg! are you sure you're certified??? when? where?" when we grabbed the boat line to do SS :(

It's good to hold the line for now. Much better than floating or sinking away! Mastering buoyancy takes time, especially in cold water gear.

Work on it, spend focused time in shallow water practicing and testing your weighting. Seems more boring than looking at fish, but a few dives of focused practice will go a LONG way. Especially if you go with an experienced buddy who can give you pointers.

Back
Top Bottom