Nauseated during dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UODuckman2002

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I did two shore dives for certification, and got really nauseous under water. Like, almost-puking-into-my-regulator nauseous. I think it was either the salt water I swallowed, the back and forth current, or both. Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do?

Fortunately, our final two certification dives are in a reservoir so I imagine I won't have this problem again. But it sucks if, every time I dive in the ocean, I get sick once I'm under.

it is quite common for people to get "sea sick" when diving in surge. (thats the back and forth movement in the ocean). so don't feel bad.
if you did swallow some salt water, you are right, it will not help the situation. :)
i am sure you will find the calm fresh water is less of a problem.
in the future, if you are going to hurl, be sure to go ahead and do it while keeping the reg in your mouth. be sure to rinse the reg thoroughly after the dive. if you happen to be bringing it in for service afterwards, pls let the repair know before hand. i am sure they will appreciate that.
i often take "gravol" for sea sickness. in the u.s. i think you guys have dramamine ? that may help.

disclaimer.....you should discuss any use of medication with your doctor.

It was the back and forth,and maybe a little stress at this point in your experience level? Salt water did not help. If you felt nauseous later too then it was the saltwater. Most important for ocean dives in future is to start with easy dive (what u define as easy not what others think is easy because of their experience) then try not to psyche yourself out before going. Then take your time. Different people have different tolerance to motion. I dont get sick in the back of a car but video games can make me feel terrible. Which may be a good thing....

it is quite common for people to get "sea sick" when diving in surge. (thats the back and forth movement in the ocean). so don't feel bad.
if you did swallow some salt water, you are right, it will not help the situation. :)
i am sure you will find the calm fresh water is less of a problem.
in the future, if you are going to hurl, be sure to go ahead and do it while keeping the reg in your mouth. be sure to rinse the reg thoroughly after the dive. if you happen to be bringing it in for service afterwards, pls let the repair know before hand. i am sure they will appreciate that.
i often take "gravol" for sea sickness. in the u.s. i think you guys have dramamine ? that may help.

disclaimer.....you should discuss any use of medication with your doctor.
Definitely packing the non-drowsy Dramamine! Why keep the reg in? I'd think it would be good to keep the reg free of any debris.

I had the same experience in Key Largo. I wasn't used to diving in the shallow water with lots of surge. I had never had issues with seasickeness on previous LoBs or on dive boats, but near the end of the dive it finally caught up with me. I was really popular with the fishes that day.

It was the back and forth,and maybe a little stress at this point in your experience level? Salt water did not help. If you felt nauseous later too then it was the saltwater. Most important for ocean dives in future is to start with easy dive (what u define as easy not what others think is easy because of their experience) then try not to psyche yourself out before going. Then take your time. Different people have different tolerance to motion. I dont get sick in the back of a car but video games can make me feel terrible. Which may be a good thing....
No nausea after I got out, but the salt water definitely didn't help. It was a long walk in full gear from our setup spot to the water, and that was a stressor along with the swells once we started walking out. One thing's for sure, no split pea soup prior to diving!

Learning to puke through your regulator should have been covered in your OW course. It is not unusual that some divers have to vomit and it's important you do not remove your regulator from your mouth when doing so.
Feeding chum to the fish is fine.

Why keep the reg in? I'd think it would be good to keep the reg free of any debris.

You could drown if you remove the reg, the debris will come out of the reg exhaust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom