Regulator service advice for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found service manuals for everything. I've heard many regs are identical inside as others. When looking for service kits, I assume they are interchangeable, but I don't know for sure what to get, and again, if I need other parts. Probably won't know until I take them apart?

I think that it’s admirable that you want to work on your own equipment; but I would spend a bit more time reading up, before I cracked anything open; and I’d make no grand assumptions that most service kits are interchangeable.

Also, seek out the best tools that you can afford; and truly take your time, since brass components are quite soft and prone to damage. Trash a critical sealing surface or two, and you then have a very effective paperweight . . .

Also, seek out the best tools that you can afford; and truly take your time, since brass components are quite soft and prone to damage. Trash a critical sealing surface or two, and you then have a very e

Good advice, but for all we know he may be working on more precise equipment for a living. Most divers that take up reg repair have a background of fixing other things.

Also, seek out the best tools that you can afford; and truly take your time, since brass components are quite soft and prone to damage.
Which is why (apologies to @couv ) I truly dislike the multipurpose tools, either from Scubapro or Scubatools.
They don't quite do anything perfectly.
IMG_20190819_092005.jpg

IMG_20190819_092023755.jpg

image.jpg

image (1).jpg

The pin spanner can skip out of the hole and scratch your chrome unless you keep it perfectly flat. The hook spanner fits awkwardly and again, can slip because the pin enters at a slight angle.

Why buy one tool when three will do? :D

Of the regs you listed, the only one you may have some trouble with is the MK15. SP has stopped producing parts for that reg, and it has a unique seat, piston, and spring. It also takes a special bushing installation tool and a special pair of snap ring pliers to service properly.

I have a stash of parts and all the tools for the MK15, as I own a few of them and I like them. If you'd like to trade yours for something different, maybe a MK10, I would be willing to do that as long as your MK15 is in serviceable condition. I can also help you with trying to service the MK15 if you want to invest in the tools (they're not very expensive) and you can find rebuild kits for it.

If you look on a recent thread about 'best SP piston 1st stages' you'll see some opinions, including mine, about the relative merits of the various models. The short answer is that they are all good performers and you'll enjoy working on them and diving with them.

Which is why (apologies to @couv ) I truly dislike the multipurpose tools, either from Scubapro or Scubatools.
They don't quite do anything perfectly.
View attachment 665191
View attachment 665192
View attachment 665198
View attachment 665199
The pin spanner can skip out of the hole and scratch your chrome unless you keep it perfectly flat. The hook spanner fits awkwardly and again, can slip because the pin enters at a slight angle.

Why buy one tool when three will do? :D
I'm honestly not opposed to the idea of having more tools. Money is the main concern for me, so if 3 tools cost the same as 1 multi tool, I'm fine going with the 3. But if I'm going to save decent money by getting the 1, I can live with making things work. I'm pretty good at that.

I think that it’s admirable that you want to work on your own equipment; but I would spend a bit more time reading up, before I cracked anything open; and I’d make no grand assumptions that most service kits are interchangeable.

Also, seek out the best tools that you can afford; and truly take your time, since brass components are quite soft and prone to damage. Trash a critical sealing surface or two, and you then have a very effective paperweight . . .

I appreciate the words of caution. I'm pretty competent, but also not overly confident and typically ask a lot of questions to get clarity. I plan on reading up some more on the topic as it is a new area for me, but diy is not new to me. I have a boat I have done a lot of work on, I've been fixing my own vehicles for several years (even rebuilt the rear end in my mountaineer) and have done a lot in my house. I feel I have the ability, but I just need the specific knowledge at this point.

Of the regs you listed, the only one you may have some trouble with is the MK15. SP has stopped producing parts for that reg, and it has a unique seat, piston, and spring. It also takes a special bushing installation tool and a special pair of snap ring pliers to service properly.
I noticed when looking for a rebuild kit for them they are hard to come by. Bummer there. Any reason they aren't supported anymore?
I have a stash of parts and all the tools for the MK15, as I own a few of them and I like them. If you'd like to trade yours for something different, maybe a MK10, I would be willing to do that as long as your MK15 is in serviceable condition. I can also help you with trying to service the MK15 if you want to invest in the tools (they're not very expensive) and you can find rebuild kits for it.
I'm really not attached to anything or picky. I'm a big "make it work" kind of person. I just want something reliable that gets me the air I need. I need to test these as my wife bought them and said the mk15 is the only one that wasn't leaking. I don't know if it was the regulator, hose, or 2nd that was leaking, so I need to get my hands on a tank to see. I'm not opposed to a possible trade.
If you look on a recent thread about 'best SP piston 1st stages' you'll see some opinions, including mine, about the relative merits of the various models. The short answer is that they are all good performers and you'll enjoy working on them and diving with them.
Good to know. I'll never be a first stage reg connoisseur. I don't think I have a taste for the "finer" things like subtleties in the piston design. I just want to dive and have gear that works for me that I can service to save money and hassle so I can dive more.

I noticed when looking for a rebuild kit for them they are hard to come by. Bummer there. Any reason they aren't supported anymore?

The MK15 was kind of a transitional regulator between the early design MK5/MKI10 (which are similar) and the later MK20/25 (which are very similar). They just weren't made for that long and they had some problems early on until SP re-designed the seat and retainer. So there are not that many out there, and SP is probably just saving some money by not supporting them any more.

If what you want is just practical, easy and inexpensive to service, readily available, and trouble free, the MK10 probably fits that bill the best. It's the combination of simplicity, economy, and reliability. I used MK10s as my main cave diving set until fairly recently, when I switched to the MK15s primarily because I have the parts to service them, and once new parts became less available, I wanted to use up my stash before the shelf life on them gets too far gone.

Can anybody recommend some reputable Scubapro authorized repair shops ? I heard there were some highly recommended ones in Florida would do the job for like $80 ? I have a Mark II 1st stage and C300 2nd stages. I am getting ripped here in Texas, they want $200.

Can anybody recommend some reputable Scubapro authorized repair shops ? I heard there were some highly recommended ones in Florida would do the job for like $80 ? I have a Mark II 1st stage and C300 2nd stages. I am getting ripped here in Texas, they want $200.
Your can't get two C300 + one Mk2 OEM Scubapro service kit for much less than $80. That means your labor charge is "zero"??
More likely, you're getting aftermarket parts from that shop.

You can't do a thorough service with OEM parts for $80. Period. You get what you pay for.
Standard good service is $30 per stage plus kits. Maybe a $10 discount for an easy Mk2.
One first and two seconds is thus $160 minimum where I live. Yeah, $200 is a bit high, but I'd accept that sooner than I'd trust a service from the $80 shop.

My 2 psi...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom