Airline Prices to Bonaire - ouch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being personally affected by this situation, I'll chime in. We had tickets for a year ago on United which were obviously cancelled by United and credited back to me, we moved our hotel reservations out to later this year, but re-purchasing my tickets is looking like it will cost 3X the airfare for each ticket that they cancelled on me (which I'm not willing to pay, I'd rather move my hotel reservations again if that is the best we can do for airfare).

You guys on the East Coast seem to have my old $800 fares and the West Coast flights are all $2,500 and up now. My hunch is that the airlines (United) got tired of processing all the refunds and jacked up the prices to really only lock up tickets for those who are willing to pay the big bucks. I am hoping that things will simmer down once the airlines can resume normal travel schedules without the constant threat of destination closures and all of the refund hassles that go along with those closures. Fingers crossed, but willing to shift to another location for 2021 if prices don't come down this year.

It's a weird world in airfare pricing right now. Delta has always charged Atlantans dearly for the privilege of living in Delta's hub. Bonaire was normally over $900. A couple of times we drove from Atlanta to Birmingham, AL, overnighted with a friend, and then took Delta to Atlanta where we would connect to the same flight that would have cost hundreds more had our trip started in Atlanta. The Saturday flights from Atlanta are looking as expensive as always, but I found some good fares for the Wednesday flight in August. I paid $560.

I highly doubt it is gouging and more than likely supply and demand. The number of flights has been reduced to meet demand and it will take a while to stabilize as demand increases. Pretty simple economics actually.

I highly doubt it is gouging and more than likely supply and demand. The number of flights has been reduced to meet demand and it will take a while to stabilize as demand increases. Pretty simple economics actually.
In addition, some of the Large Demand in June and July are from the "flights" from American that got cancelled in April and May....
Prices may finally stabilize a bit higher (cost of nearly everything are going up), but right now we are seeing a transient adjustment going on.

It has been a rollercoaster ride for flight prices from my local airports for this fall. I have been checking prices several times a day for multiple airports and a wide range of trip options for weeks now. The prices have been all over the map, except low, with changes throughout the day and even twice changing in my “cart” before I could complete the purchases. :banghead:

Finally today I was able to select one of the more reasonable prices from AA at an airport some distance from home (means an overnight stay the night before) but it actually lasted long enough for me to complete and get confirmation.

Headed back to Bonaire in November after a much too long surface interval! :yeahbaby:

Just booked RT airfare from SFO to Bonaire for around $600 (refundable) via United. If we had purchased non-refundable it would have been $100 cheaper at $500 so pretty good pricing for late Nov/early Dec. But agree, outside of these dates, prices were generally above $1K over or a flight with a long layover.

I guess the saying is: the early bird gets the worm. We booked last Spring for Bonaire for 2 weeks in Jan. Paid $657 per person round trip with no overnights and 1 stop in Charlotte. Now they are $1300 plus.

Our May/June '22 trip was moved a number of times from May/June '20. Booked our airfare last month on United - EWR/Bon nonstop and for the two of us it was about $500 less than our original booking. Roughly $695 per plus another $135 for seat upgrads and checked bags.

Back
Top Bottom