Why don't wings have shoulder dump valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssssnake529

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have noticed that a typical wing for a backplate/wing set up generally has a single dump valve on the butt, and that's it. They don't have shoulder dump valves.

Why is that?

With my current BCD, I generally like to use my right shoulder dump valve rather than my inflator hose. I can pull the shoulder dump valve with either hand, and I don't have to hold the inflator hose up.

Doesn't look that that's an option with a BP/W set up. What's the reason? Simplicity?

Hi Snake,
That's because one is usually in a delta trim position and would use the kidney dump to release gas most of the time as it is easier in that position. However, the corrugated hose release could be used, but that can also be less effective while in trim and add a bit more maneuvering, Nevertheless, adding another dump valve at the shoulder would be:

1. Another failure point.

2. Limit the integrity and streamlining of the wing.

Simply put—you don't need it and why fix something that is not broken IMHO.

Sadly there is such a device. It’s called an inflator pull dump.

Pull Dumps — lose them

A backplate and wing assembly is a no frills, streamlined and highly customizable alternative to a poodle jacket.

It’s an exhaust elbow dump valve. The remote exhaust elbow has a cable running from the inflator valve inside the corrugated hose up to the remote exhaust dump valve at the top of the wing and is activated when pulled.

E6A9C420-B1BE-44CD-9657-2AAAE113F1DB.jpeg

Fashion, partly.

you can get this AP TEKWING or VARIABLE BUOYANCY (31-47 LBS)SYSTEM (With b/plate, Tech harness complete).

I have an older Custom Divers wing with a pull dump which I bought as I really wanted a shoulder dump. I never used the pull dump and that wing doesn’t get used.

really you should be flat and using the hip dump, so the shoulder dump is pointless. Of course that is also true of a conventional BCD…

Unless I don't know what you're talking about, I have a shoulder dump on my Oxycheq wing.

9374f7c8-087e-4483-a647-1da53acdf8d2_1024x1024@2x.png

I have an air2 as an inflator.

really you should be flat and using the hip dump, so the shoulder dump is pointless. Of course that is also true of a conventional BCD…

Exactly!

I have noticed that a typical wing for a backplate/wing set up generally has a single dump valve on the butt, and that's it. They don't have shoulder dump valves.

Why is that?

With my current BCD, I generally like to use my right shoulder dump valve rather than my inflator hose. I can pull the shoulder dump valve with either hand, and I don't have to hold the inflator hose up.

Doesn't look that that's an option with a BP/W set up. What's the reason? Simplicity?

1. You should dive flat in the water.
2. If you're vertical there's the elephant's trunk.
3. Two dumps are far more reliable than three/four/five

Backmount doesn't allow a single central butt dump as sidemount does (X-Deep Stealth), so there's a single dump on the left-hand-side. This came about though the DIR (dooin it write) safety developments years ago (which favours the left-hand-side for non urgent procedures).

Kind of easy; just get used to it. You'll dive better.

I think a right shoulder dump is a fantastic idea, on a rec wing. I know its not something that a DIR disciple or solo diver would ever buy but if Oxycheq put one in a 30# wing, I would buy it. I think there is more than one incredibly lazy guy like me that hates lifting my air in the air to descend.

I think a right shoulder dump is a fantastic idea, on a rec wing. I know its not something that a DIR disciple or solo diver would ever buy but if Oxycheq put one in a 30# wing, I would buy it. I think there is more than one incredibly lazy guy like me that hates lifting my air in the air to descend.
I think everyone should dive what makes them comfortable. I like the feel of the Air2 in my big meatpaw, and I like the shoulder dump.

But then, I have thousands and thousands of dives. I don't really care what some DIR fella thinks of my way of diving.

Back
Top Bottom