Lost buddy prevention

From the scale of 1-5, how stupid and/or dangerous would this be?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The side-by-side approach isn't always satisfactory. Imagine, for example, moving horizontally along a sheer, vertical wall. The "outside" diver will have only an always obstructed view of the wall.

As others mentioned above, dive more with your buddy. You two will eventually work something out that is safe and satisfactory for both of you.

rx7diver

My (noob) buddy and I are both scared of losing buddy but both are tired of twitching around every few mins to look for each other, . . .

The more you dive, the more automatic it will become and the less like a burden it will feel. Continuously moving your eyes between the environment, your buddy and your gauges is a skill like all the others you learned in your course. Some of those skills you will only have to pull out if something goes wrong, but others you will use on every dive and improve with time, such as buoyancy control and buddy awareness.

Whether it's better to position yourselves side-by-side or front-and-rear or something in between as others have mentioned may depend on the circumstances, but as part of the dive plan consider agreeing on a default position relative to each other and then maintain awareness of it during the dive. It's not always practical to maintain a strict relative position--there are some dives on which the goal is to poke around something--but if it's feasible for the dive you should consider agreeing on a default position and try to maintain it.

The side-by-side approach isn't always satisfactory. Imagine, for example, moving horizontally along a sheer, vertical wall. The "outside" diver will have only an always obstructed view of the wall.
That doesn't require much of a change. The outside buddy just moves a little further forward. The outside is likely the leader, spending relatively more time scanning ahead while the inside is more focused on checking the wall.

This is worth a read.

Passive Communication and Scuba Diving

"By far the most effective type of passive communication is positioning.

During an open water dive, buddies should maintain a side-by-side or a slightly staggered position in a team of two, or a staggered position in a team of three. Divers determine which diver will be on the left/right before the dive, and maintain this positioning whenever possible. Buddies stay within each other’s peripheral vision and no more than a few feet from each other. As long as a dive buddy stays in position, he is “okay” and no communication is needed. However, the moment he moves from his teammate’s peripheral vision, active communication is needed.

For example, if one buddy stops to check out an interesting fish, the other should immediately notice that his buddy has stopped swimming and turn to establish visual contact with the buddy. The buddy can then point out the fantastic fish. Another example is a diver who stops to solve a problem. He will lag behind and fall out of position. His teammate(s) should notice, stop, and communicate with the lagging diver to solve the problem.
"

Use a bright narrow dive torch/light and learn how to use it.

Very simple; as you're going along with a buddy behind you, point your bright & narrow torch just in front of you. Your buddy will then point his torch beam over your torch beam. If you're concerned, do the OK signal (move the beam in one circle) and expect the same back in confirmation. Should you or your buddy need attention, use the attention signal (side to side signal). For urgent attention, rapid movement of the beam maybe flashing the beam in their face if they don't respond.

Being blunt, I absolutely hate diving with buddies who don't know how to use their torches properly. Much prefer diving alone than constantly turning around to look for an inconsiderate buddy. I'm there to enjoy the dive, not shepherd another diver.

Of course this is more technical skills than recreational. Try it, it's worth it.

This forum is for new divers and those considering diving. According to his profile, the OP does not have 24 dives yet. What do you say we keep advice at that level? He probably does not want to be buying an $1,800 canister light just yet. Also, if you were thinking of explaining how to play that light along a cave wall, that could be premature as well.

Use a bright narrow dive torch/light and learn how to use it.

Very simple; as you're going along with a buddy behind you, point your bright & narrow torch just in front of you. Your buddy will then point his torch beam over your torch beam. If you're concerned, do the OK signal (move the beam in one circle) and expect the same back in confirmation. Should you or your buddy need attention, use the attention signal (side to side signal). For urgent attention, rapid movement of the beam maybe flashing the beam in their face if they don't respond.

Being blunt, I absolutely hate diving with buddies who don't know how to use their torches properly. Much prefer diving alone than constantly turning around to look for an inconsiderate buddy. I'm there to enjoy the dive, not shepherd another diver.

Of course this is more technical skills than recreational. Try it, it's worth it.
Is it really technical? I teach exactly this in my open water classes. I do provide reasonable lights mounted on Goodman handles. When my two students execute their planned dive, this is part of it. I do place my beam in front of them as I'm behind them in case anything goes awry. I go over seeing each other's beam most, but not all, of the time. It is fairly basic in my opinion.

My (noob) buddy and I are both scared of losing buddy but both are tired of twitching around every few mins to look for each other, so we thought of using a reel (~ 6 feet) to hook our D-rings together - with the understanding that if something were to go wrong, you'd pull it.

From the scale of 1-5, how stupid and/or dangerous would this be?

That line could get entangled in something, but that's not bad as you both are carrying dive knives.
It is stupid though:
1. you do not want to look at your buddy
2. you connect yourself to your buddy with a line
3. unless you know 100% of the time your distance you will suffer unexpected pulls
4. hence, you will need to look at your buddy even more

Use a hand line instead. It's much better (hands flex). Add a small float so it doesn't drag along the bottom.

Is it really technical? I teach exactly this in my open water classes. I do provide reasonable lights mounted on Goodman handles. When my two students execute their planned dive, this is part of it. I do place my beam in front of them as I'm behind them in case anything goes awry. I go over seeing each other's beam most, but not all, of the time. It is fairly basic in my opinion.
That's it. You've definitely passed the "good instructor" test IMHO! It's staggering how few people outside of GUE or technical trained people who know this technique, yet it's so simple to teach and so easy to utilise even at novice levels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom