Why don't wings have shoulder dump valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is that?

Because someone deemed it to be so and without thinking the populous followed

But now, someone has started thinking again, and the safest way to dump is back!

I think a right shoulder dump is a fantastic idea, on a rec wing. I know its not something that a DIR disciple or solo diver would ever buy but if Oxycheq put one in a 30# wing, I would buy it. I think there is more than one incredibly lazy guy like me that hates lifting my air in the air to descend.
Then lay flat in the water and use your hip dump on the surface.

But if you really think like that, there's the massively overcomplex, expensive and over-engineered "i3" BCD.

Personally, I want reliability. Loosing buoyancy due to a dump failure is a right nause.

I've actually had a dump pop off my wing whilst on the surface. Had ascended, inflated the wing and thought I was a little low in the water. Popped some more gas in the wing and heard some bubbles from my LHS; reached down to find a hole where once there was a dump valve. As the hip dump is on the bottom, remaining vertical kept sufficient gas in the wing for me to swim vertically to the exit. Had it happened underwater, I would have used the drysuit, could have turned on my side, or I could have inflated an SMB and used that as additional buoyancy (of course I carry two on every dive).

It’s an exhaust elbow dump valve. The remote exhaust elbow has a cable running from the inflator valve inside the corrugated hose up to the remote exhaust dump valve at the top of the wing and is activated when pulled.

View attachment 665374

When these fail its a major PITA since the only way to hold any gas in the wing at all is to be upside down. They are complex and not as simple to inspect as the butt dump, so they tend to work great for awhile until they suddenly don't. Most common seems to be the flapper valve sticks open, the cable comes undone, or the hose separates from the elbow from aggressive pulling.

They can encourage going vertical to vent and resulting poor trim in my experience.

I had one on an earlier rear inflate BCD. I liked it, it was convenient. Eventually it failed... Closed. The cable components broke. This is the typical failure mode, though I'm sure failing open is possible. It was easy enough to fix.

Eventually I bought a freedom plate and wing. I considered getting a shoulder dump for the wing, but figured I'd wait to see if I really missed it. I haven't really.

I think a right shoulder dump is a fantastic idea, on a rec wing. I know its not something that a DIR disciple or solo diver would ever buy but if Oxycheq put one in a 30# wing, I would buy it. I think there is more than one incredibly lazy guy like me that hates lifting my air in the air to descend.

Brilliant post PACKRMAN it's just honest and it flows, practicality

Here are some of my wings all with shoulder dumps and I am the solo diver

full.jpg

and if they dont have them I install them, forever

"Pulled dump valve"?
How many dump valve would a diver need?
It is entirely up to the individual to decide.
Some brands eg Dive Rite and OMS come with it while others don't.
Take good care of it.

"Pulled dump valve"?
How many dump valve would a diver need?
It is entirely up to the individual to decide.
Some brands eg Dive Rite and OMS come with it while others don't.
Take good care of it.
One dump is twice as reliable as two dumps and three times as reliable as three dumps.

One dump is twice as reliable as two dumps and three times as reliable as three dumps.
I might have said that 2 was 1/2 as reliable as 1 and 3 was 1/3 as reliable.

Well there are "two" ways to vent afterall
It's not like you can't tilt up and vent from the corrugated hose.

My hollis SMS100 with the "Edd mods" and my SMS75 has a dump behind the neck. I can tell you when they stick open its a colossal pain (has happened twice which is 2 times too many)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom