Children die playing with scuba gear left in pool - Jensen Beach, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t think miscible applies to non liquids.
You are correct. The term is molecular diffusion or diffusive mixing.

From lakhasly, “miscibility in chemistry is the property of liquids in mixing in all proportions, forming a homogeneous solution, and the concept also applies to other phases (solid and gaseous substances), but the general use is the solubility of a liquid in another.”

I have been backing into my garage since I got a house with one 15 years ago so I can watch for neighborhood kids when I leave. I can't understand why that is not the norm.

This is admirable DandyDon, I have always done the same, but rest assured if it does come into law, I'll be opening my world wide network of garage repairers

With the scuba gear found at the bottom with them? It sounds like proficient swimmers decided that they could do what the adults had been doing. I have seen BCs and tanks left floating in pools and not considered the risk.
Could be. Kids tend to copy what the adults do without the necessary attention to detail. It's a good lesson.

Aside from the currently popular "infringing on my freedoms argument, I suggest it is not a law because you have a chance of hitting your own kid when doing it. For those that have a kid, the likelihood of your kid being home is probably higher than the likelihood of a kid happening to come by when you are backing out. Obviously there would be some places where it could be opposite.

And given the proven track record of people driving forward, I'm thinking backwards will probably not be better.

Depends on the dressing, and the gasses. If the gasses (and the dressing ingredients) are miscible, say vinegar and water, they will mix (eventually) and stay mixed. If they are not miscible (say oil and vinegar) they will separate. Helium, nitrogen, and oxygen may not be miscible, but once they mix, the kinetic energ of the gasses bounding around the cylinder keeps them mixed just fine.
While I know this to be correct in theory, I have seen it not hold water with my own eyes. Used an AL80 of 18/45 bailout that had been sitting in the garage for multiple years untouched. Started using it to fill balloons for my friends daughter's birthday party. The first 5 balloons floated, the next few wouldn't float. They were all the same balloons, the only difference was the order in which they were filled. Wound up being kind of a neat experiment. Given enough time, they will actually separate back out.

While I know this to be correct in theory, I have seen it not hold water with my own eyes. Used an AL80 of 18/45 bailout that had been sitting in the garage for multiple years untouched. Started using it to fill balloons for my friends daughter's birthday party. The first 5 balloons floated, the next few wouldn't float. They were all the same balloons, the only difference was the order in which they were filled. Wound up being kind of a neat experiment. Given enough time, they will actually separate back out.

... aRe you sure the temperature of the gas was equal or the subsequent baloons might have been filled with colder gas (due to the cooling from expansion) and therefore denser gas .... just saying that there are more factors to consider.

Gas Diffusion and Effusion | Introduction to Chemistry
Diffusion - Wikipedia

It would need a Temp of 0 K to avoid diffusion (Brownian motion stops)

... aRe you sure the temperature of the gas was equal or the subsequent baloons might have been filled with colder gas (due to the cooling from expansion) and therefore denser gas .... just saying that there are more factors to consider.

Gas Diffusion and Effusion | Introduction to Chemistry
Diffusion - Wikipedia

It would need a Temp of 0 K to avoid diffusion (Brownian motion stops)
That is a thought I had no considered. Wouldn't they start floating after they warmed to room temperature?
They did not.

That is a thought I had no considered. Wouldn't they start floating after they warmed to room temperature?
They did not.

The weight of the balloons and the amount of gas, it may be a simple buoyancy issue. It's not pure He so the positive buoyancy in air is reduced, perhaps not enough to lift a slightly heavier balloon or one with a little less gas in it.

Back
Top Bottom