What countries are people traveling from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shmuggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been on two trips since the lockdowns started and have come across people from Britain, Holland, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Switzerland and the USA. Since then some of those countries have enacted strict lockdowns. The British people wanted to go back before their options to travel back were too limited. Although they would have been allowed in with quarantine restrictions, it is of no use of the airlines are not flying there because of the lockdowns.

I am under the impression that people from Australia, Canada, and New Zealand still cannot go anywhere. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So who have you been encountering on your recent trips?

canadians can fly where ever they like as long as they follow the rules of entry for the country they are visiting.
currently a canadian returning by air to canada will be subject to a manadtory isolation at a gov designated hotel, be tested, and has to wait for a negative result. this is at their own expense.
there has been talk of lifting that requirement next month for fully vaxed travellers.

I have been on two trips since the lockdowns started and have come across people from Britain, Holland, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Switzerland and the USA. Since then some of those countries have enacted strict lockdowns. The British people wanted to go back before their options to travel back were too limited. Although they would have been allowed in with quarantine restrictions, it is of no use of the airlines are not flying there because of the lockdowns.

I am under the impression that people from Australia, Canada, and New Zealand still cannot go anywhere. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So who have you been encountering on your recent trips?

I’ve been on 5 diving trips since the lockdown (Cocos in December, Socorro in January, Belize in February, Maldives in March, back to Socorro in May). In addition to your list, I met divers from Singapore, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Denmark, Belgium, France, Canada, Lithuania, UAE, Maldives, Costa Rica and lastly USA. Americans were on every trips I went to, of course. LOL.

. . . I am under the impression that people from Australia, Canada, and New Zealand still cannot go anywhere. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know any country that prevents their citizens from leaving--okay, maybe Cuba, North Korea, etc. It's on the return that countries impose restrictions such as quarantine. But I haven't heard of any country that flat out refuses to admit its own citizens, subject to such restrictions. I suppose if people believe the reward of the trip outweighs the hassle, they will travel.

Thank goodness one diver from Mumbai, India couldn’t make it to Maldives due to positive PCR test. Otherwise, some of us would get that very contagious COVID-19 variant from India. So, the PCR test is very good way for screening out the COVID-19 carrier.

Direct from the Home Affairs .gov website word for word: Leaving Australia | COVID-19 and the border

"
Australians and permanent residents
If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following:

• your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid
  • your travel is for your business/employer
  • you are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia
  • you are travelling outside Australia for a compelling reason for three months or longer
  • you are travelling on compelling or compassionate grounds
  • your travel is in the national interest.
You must provide evidence to support your claims. Requests may be finalised without further consideration if insufficient evidence is provided. Evidence may include:

• passport/s
  • marriage certificate/s
  • birth certificate/s
  • death certificate/s
  • proof of relationship (for example, shared tenancy agreement, joint bank account etc.)*
  • proof that you are moving to another country on a long term basis such as leases, job offers and evidence your goods are being transported
  • proof of your current valid visa, including in Australia and/or overseas
  • letter from a doctor or hospital about any medical treatment/condition with statements on why travel is necessary
  • letter from your employer, or other evidence that you are travelling for a business reason
  • statement or evidence to show when you wish to return to Australia
  • any other proof you may have to support your claims.
*For information about providing proof of your relationship refer to Evidence of relationship."

And yes the government takes this very seriously. I have several Australian friends that I work overseas with and they had to apply with the government to show that they were employed out of country and had business to do and then they were given a special letter stating that they can leave Aus for only that purpose.

Also I part time live in Australia but I do not have citizenship or PR status so it is literally impossible for me to get into Australia for the last 1.5 years.

Insert Hotel California reference.

Direct from the Home Affairs .gov website word for word: Leaving Australia | COVID-19 and the border

"
Australians and permanent residents
If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following: . . .

That is truly amazing. Thanks for correcting my understanding.

I suppose the government's assumption is that if you are leaving you will likely want to return before the pandemic is resolved.

I haven't left the US in a year and a half because I didn't think it was prudent, and even if I had, there were few destinations admitting Americans, but I am now trying to imagine how I would feel if my government were to prohibit me from leaving. Like the US, Australia is a wonderful and huge country with plenty to keep us occupied at home, but the thought of not being allowed to leave somehow feels creepy.

It’s possible to have the same effect on citizen travel by making re-entry into the country so onerous that people simply don’t. Oh Canada! I still remember the saying that when the US sneezes, Canada catches a cold.

Back
Top Bottom