Feeling like a newbie again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Angel has some really good DM's and Instructors on staff. Ruben Larregui is my favorite Instructor. He's also the lead singer in a local band called The Red Eye Band. They play at BA on occasion too. BA offers free shore diving to patrons who are staying at the hotel and using their Dive Op. The shore diving at BA begins in a "pen" with ropes & buoys that includes a buoyancy course as well. The pen has a lot of fish life too! It will make a great opportunity for your newbie divers to practice skills and become more comfortable in the ocean. I highly recommend taking advantage of the unlimited free shore diving, especially for your new divers. You should also check out the dive courses offered for your new divers. It will most likely be one-on-one instruction.

BA hotel is about 1.25 miles south of downtown and I always found it easier to take a cab into town to go to restaurants and do shopping and Mega and Chedraui. The front desk will call a cab for you and I have never had to wait more than just a few minutes.

Some great advice has already been mentioned in this thread for ATM's. If you have a day where you will not be diving, I'd negotiate an island tour with a local cabbie who speaks English. (Most do). It is surprisingly affordable. The BA front desk can give you recommendations too.

Have fun!

Ruben is no longer at BA nor does Red Eye play there anymore.

Money: Withdraw pesos from a bank affiliated atm. There are several in the airport. Most atm's will ask you if you accept the conversion rate. Do not agree to that. Banamex is one of the few, (perhaps the only), banks that doesn't play that stupid conversion rate game. In any event, there are lots of atm's around. Others who stay at Blue Angel will be better able to give you locations of the most convenient atm locations.
I rarely use a cc, as it's too easy, too tempting for mischief makers to cause problems.

For my own edification, when I refuse the conversion rate, the ATM will just use the one my bank uses instead and I will still get my pesos?

Money: Travelers' cheques have gone the way of the dodo. I use the ATMs at the Palacio Municipale across the side street north of Chedraui for pesos, and I use my credit card occasionally at the higher end restaurants.!

Are there ATMs inside of the municipal building? I have typically used the bank ATMs that are near Benito Juarez Square that are in a bank but the ones you mention seem really convenient for when we go to Mega or Chedraui.

+1 for the beaches/water parks with kids. The floaty things are a lot of fun. Also, if you are on the island on a Sunday night, head down to Benito Juarez Square (adjacent to the ferry dock). There's outdoor food served by families and families having ice cream together. It's a nice time.

For my own edification, when I refuse the conversion rate, the ATM will just use the one my bank uses instead and I will still get my pesos?

Essentially, yes. I don't know who establishes the exchange rate, but in any event it will be far superior to the conversion rate.

Are there ATMs inside of the municipal building? I have typically used the bank ATMs that are near Benito Juarez Square that are in a bank but the ones you mention seem really convenient for when we go to Mega or Chedraui.

+1 for the beaches/water parks with kids. The floaty things are a lot of fun. Also, if you are on the island on a Sunday night, head down to Benito Juarez Square (adjacent to the ferry dock). There's outdoor food served by families and families having ice cream together. It's a nice time.[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea. Could also head down to the square just south of Chedraui - which would be closer to Blue Angel. We've just been there a couple of times, and don't remember what was happening on which nights.

Car: Cream of the crop in town is ISIS. Prices have gone up a bit since Margarita died, but the family still runs the business.

Wow, that was quick. Sounds like they had been wanting to increase and she was vetoing it. Define "a bit".

Take advantage of Blue H2o Cozumel Whale Shark Tour. Get your Scuba Board discount.
Thank you for the suggestion! We are only planning one non-diving day, but I will see whether everyone wants to swim with the whales on that day.

Reactions: JFS

+1 for the beaches/water parks with kids. The floaty things are a lot of fun. Also, if you are on the island on a Sunday night, head down to Benito Juarez Square (adjacent to the ferry dock). There's outdoor food served by families and families having ice cream together. It's a nice time.

There is bank machines inside the municipal building. There are also bank machines at Chedraui and Mega. There are several banks located around Benito Juarez square. I dont advise using stand alone machines you see on the street or at hotels.

Wow, that was quick. Sounds like they had been wanting to increase and she was vetoing it. Define "a bit".

I just reserved a convertible bug with them last night and it's $35 a day, still with full insurance. I think I might have paid $30 a day when I was last there 6 years ago? Can't really complain about that. Still a smoking deal.

Reactions: JFS
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom