Regulator Service Technician Training - Unrestricted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• torque.jpg
    torque.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 77
Me too! (Although I'm slotted in for Round 3 - the international version)

New toy (err... tool) arrived today ..
Yes, when I have everything set up (@rsingler has been great in email), I'll post pics. I'm currently building a little frame for my magnahelix to stand up. It is red to have a white stripe to be added. All within the correct dimensions of a proper dive flag. I wouldn't want to disappoint Mr. @Sam Miller III !

I'm hoping at as a group we can provide other DIYers assistance with getting their own repair/maintenance setups going.

(@rsingler has been great in email)

He's been great helping me identify some bargain regs to work with (I've picked up a cheapy Mk17 to practice on before I unleash myself on my main ones, plus managed to get hold of a Poseidon 1st and 2 2nd's for under AU$100) and getting together a shopping list of tools specific for my gear. As soon as he sends out the generic list, I'm ready to fork over some hard earned to Scuba Tools and Scuba Clinic Tools to finish my set up.

And this weekend is making a bit more progress on converting the old outside toilet to a dive locker with workbench. It'll be tight in there (1.4m x 1.4m / 4'6" x 4'6"), but I'll make it work :)

We'll teach workarounds for virtually every tool.
No magnehelic? No problem. Tuning just a fraction slower. Nice to have? Yes. That's one time eBay can work in our favor. But pay more than AUS$40? No.

Here I am checking the tune of a D-series regulator in the sink. The valve hisses (cracks) right at the shoulder of the case - a perfect 0.8" would be seen on a magnehelic. Cost? $0
Screenshot_20200517-131533_Gallery.jpg

I put the mag in the nice to have category but if you still want a way to test cracking pressure and exhaust pressure you can always build a U tube manometer for well under $10 USD. They are simple, cheap, accurate and building one is a nice DYI project.
While on the subject, most of the mags I see on ebay are not IMO an acceptable range for scuba use. The common 0-5 IWC is way too wide since you will be tuning regs in the 0.5 to 1.5 IWC range the 0-3 is a better choice and I would prefer a 0-2 but I rarely see those.. Personally, I use 2 of them, a 0-3 for most work and a 0-1 if I am experimenting with high performance regs tuned way too close to the edge.

I'm a pretty frugal person but I don't understand this goal to do reg service without the tools. Sure there are workarounds but these tools that we are talking about doing without are not expensive in the realm of scuba diving. An inline tester with a gauge and a magnahelic all together on eBay is going to be less or equal to one reg service and is going to last you the rest of your days and when you sell it you will get your money back out of it. You are really going to like the convenience of it.

I recognize that Rob is trying to help people get over the hurdle of the tool buy in cost by offering alternatives but let me offer a different perspective.

1 I've never regretted the purchase of a good tool that I use. I have regretted buying low quality tools and I have regretted doing without the proper tool, only to buy it later and wonder why I waited.

2 Reg service is tedious. Having the right tools makes it less annoying and makes me less likely to put it off.

3 You will spend the equivalent of 3-4 work days prepping for and taking this course. The investment in the right tools will more properly honor and add value to that investment of your time.

This is just my perspective but I have seen it under represented in these discussions. Rob can help you decide which tools are a complete waste of time but a good torque wrench, vice, inline tool and a magnahelic definitely don't fall into that category. Buy once, cry once.

Nah. Do it once or twice without the specialized tools, so when you get frustrated and end up buying them you will really appreciate how much easier they make it.

Kidding. Maybe.

A magnahelic is more an nice-to-have than a necessity, n'est pas?
So self-respecting...... KIDDING!

I plan on opening a dive center in Greece and I will standardize on Deep 6 regs (and fins and BP/W and dive computer and ... pretty much everything they make) due to their support of individuals/small dive centers. So if I have 10 regs to service, I want to have all the right tools.

Eventually when I'm really proficient, I would like to make videos of how me servicing a reg and upload to YouTube. The "document" camera like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QN8WJJB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that allows me to move it into almost any position for people to see what I'm doing.

I also have this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XNYXQHE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for inspecting parts up close.

Reg service is tedious. Having the right tools makes it less annoying...
That is the Darth Vader in my good friend Ray talking.
What he really meant to say was,
"Reg service allows you to sense the Force. It is meditative and opens your soul to the flow of the Universe. Any annoyance that you feel is the Dark Side intruding. Stay calm, holding your Light Saber properly, and it will be pushed away. Reg service is beautiful and calming."

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom