Does anyone ask to see your logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I've never even seen a computer log print out."
"I've never been asked to see my log book."

Again proof that certs are absolute BS

How about:
I've always been asked to show my money.

Not quite right. This is about looking at a log book.
Asking if I have a cert card, that happens all the time (at least on new boats until they know me).
VERY different from looking at a log book.

For me the paper log is more a scrapbook or a journal than a log. But I can look at the handwritten notes in a paper log about a dive 4 years ago at Kona and it's enough to trigger the visual memories of that awesome dive.

That's exactly why I do it. My memory is garbage, but when I start reading people's names that were on the dive, or the eventful thing that happened on the dive that I wrote about, it all comes back to me. That's priceless.

. . . For me the paper log is more a scrapbook or a journal than a log. But I can look at the handwritten notes in a paper log about a dive 4 years ago at Kona and it's enough to trigger the visual memories of that awesome dive. . . .

I think some of my vacation dive logbook pages have margarita stains.

I still keep a hard copy of my dives , old habits die hard, worked out well this week, an operator I dive with sometimes, have a new card system " five signed dives on a card and the 6th one is free, in a given period" , flashed my logbook for this year and I had 4 in that given period [with their stamp], so one more and the 6th one is a free double boat dive.
The Dive operator checked the dates and a new card with 4 dives done was given., I said "don't you guys have this on file on a computer", 'yeah we do, but this quick and easy.'
I remember some "young Buck" bragging on that dive "I don't log dives", the first thing I thought of was, you have never been in a position of 'if it's NOT logged and signed, you don't get paid',[our the required dives for...whatever]
Old school still woks sometimes.

in regards to charter or dive op -my understanding is that a a cert is a liability issue for the operator that youve received suitable training. the request to see a log is to see if youve got suitable experience

What I've learned from reading this fun thread is that I'm apparently the only person in the world still keeping a paper logbook. :) I do it because I enjoy reflecting on the dives as I lounge around in the room with a cerveza after all the gear rinsing is done for the day. And it is fun to go back through and remember all the people I've dived with over the years.

I have been diving for 22 years and I still log every dive in my log book and I have a stack of log books in my closet. I have designed my own pages to suit my needs. It goes with me on every dive trip, local or on vacation.
Some dive charters up here in the Great Lakes will ask to see a log book depending on the difficulty, depth and water temp of a dive site.

I dove in Koh Lanta, Thailand and an instructor seemed really familiar. After checking my paper log book, I realized she was a guide when I dove in Okinawa, Japan, years earlier. I showed her the log book and her signature and she was so surprised. There was no way she would have remembered me, with dealing with so many customers over the years, otherwise.

I had her sign and date the same page, in case our paths crossed again.

2013 dives, more starting next Wednesday
upload_2021-6-19_18-11-35.png

A63075BC-4736-43C8-9319-B1844BE95B76.jpeg

Well, technically, there is no SSI Advanced Open Water class. AOW is a recognition card not a certification card. Recognition for 4 specialties. In the case I referred to, it was during the specialties that qualified me for AOW.
True, but I do get it. SSI is owned by Mares, so they clearly have a desire to promote Mares computers.

Honestly, I never tried. I didn’t see the option on the app, so I tried on the website. I was able to edit the number of dives under my profile, and that seemed to remain. However, it did not change the number in the diamond, or move my diver level up, as I do have enough for the next level. I got an error stating I couldn’t change my name if I have completed any SSI certifications, but I wasn’t trying to change my name.

Does the diamond change on yours?

To get the diamond to change you need to go to your latest dive and scan an instructors or dive centre's qr code to verify it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom