Scuba on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CO and CO2 don't come from motors. Solids like metals will be caught in the filter, anything smaller than the filter isn't going to bother my lungs. Why the extra worry when it's in a tank, rather than when you're in a factory with similar equipment running?

There isn't any extra worry. The worry it's the same: your life depends on what you breathe, so if there is even 1 possibility over 100k that your gas is bad - it's a good approach to check it.

This is why there are regulations that impose to test equipments used in factories. You can do the same.

Because underwater the pressure amplifies everything...
Except you don't dive for 8 hours, but you work in a factory for 8 hours or drive behind polluting traffic for 8 hours.

There isn't any extra worry. The worry it's the same: your life depends on what you breathe, so if there is even 1 possibility over 100k that your gas is bad - it's a good approach to check it.

This is why there are regulations that impose to test equipments used in factories. You can do the same.
The tiny amount of pollution from one little compressor is nothing compared to exhaust fumes I breathe every day.

i feel like i am in the twilight zone.

i have to believe that the whole thread is just someone bored on the weekend trying to entertain themselves. and that is fine. i do that too sometimes. but this is the wrong forum to do it.

the utter nonsense you are passing along to new divers is not just reckless. it is dangerous and could kill someone who might take you seriously.

to any new divers out there who are actually interested in learning how to enjoy this sport safely....pls ignore everything you have just read, do not continue reading, and move along. just pretend this never happened.

i feel like i am in the twilight zone.

i have to believe that the whole thread is just someone bored on the weekend trying to entertain themselves. and that is fine. i do that too sometimes. but this is the wrong forum to do it.

the utter nonsense you are passing along to new divers is not just reckless. it is dangerous and could kill someone who might take you seriously.

to any new divers out there who are actually interested in learning how to enjoy this sport safely....pls ignore everything you have just read, do not continue reading, and move along. just pretend this never happened.
There is nothing I'm doing that's mildly dangerous, let alone reckless. What on earth are you worried about? As I've told you before, the pollutants are far less than you inhale by driving or cycling behind another vehicle, and I'd smell the oil, from the compressor which is sold as for scuba. Try to keep things in proportion. You wouldn't be trying to encourage people to pay you large amounts of money for lessons on the obvious would you? I see you're an instructor.

As I said before, you are not on the surface, you are underwater so the pressure is different and then the pollutants' effects are increased. Dosage involves different factors (quantity, time, pressure, temperature,...). Being underwater changes everything you think you know and that the reason you need to pay attention about what people are telling you in this forum...

No, because I like going underwater for over an hour without having to surface. I was only testing it in the shallow bit, there are deeper areas to go to. This isn't rocket science, there's more chance of dying on the drive there.
Only if you drove there without a helmet on a motorcycle you built from parts found on AliExpress. And obviously no license needed because you googled how to ride a motorcycle.

Seriously, the fatality rate for uncertified scuba divers is a full order of magnitude greater than certified (which is already much higher on a fatality per hour rate than driving). And that's without considering your gear and air quality.

As I said before, you are not on the surface, you are underwater so the pressure is different and then the pollutants' effects are increased. Dosage involves different factors (quantity, time, pressure, temperature,...). Being underwater changes everything you think you know and that the reason you need to pay attention about what people are telling you in this forum...
Yes, I know what pressure is, I have a degree in physics. But I'm only using it for just over an hour, and it's a lot cleaner than the air you breathe behind a bus.

Only if you drove there without a helmet on a motorcycle you built from parts found on AliExpress. And obviously no license needed because you googled how to ride a motorcycle.
I drive without a seatbelt. I do have a license, but then a car is a hell of a lot more difficult to operate than a scuba tank.

Seriously, the fatality rate for uncertified scuba divers is a full order of magnitude greater than certified (which is already much higher on a fatality per hour rate than driving). And that's without considering your gear and air quality.
Per hour? So you scuba the same amount of time as you drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom