Vandenburg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems you could include if the buoy is underwater in your list of reasoning to thumb it. Sounds like you did a dive just to get some exercise. :)
Here's the stupid part. I knew how many buoys there were on each wreck from the previous year. When I saw one missing I thought that it got stolen, you couldn't even see it just below the surface. When we went to the second site I thought, "What the hell are they stealing buoys for?". Neither the DM nor the boat skipper mentioned that the current pushed them under.

I guess I got set up for that by diving in Mexico. The one wreck we went diving on near Puerto Escondido in the Sea of Cortez wasn't marked with a buoy and we had a hard time finding it. I asked why there was no buoy there and our DM said, "The fishermen steal them."

Yes, I could imagine that is related to getting our info from people who have a vested interest in you thinking you got a good dive and don't want your money back because currents or weather blew you out. They probably have plenty of disclaimers about weather, currents or your fitness (though those currents would overwhelm Superman) not being their responsibility but still get requests for refunds, so best not to mention anything about it.

BTW, I was going to respond with a joke that I found who was stealing all buoys with a page from Ebay showing mooring buoys but actually found that those things are pretty pricey! 15" ball is well over $100 from retailers, even over $150, and Bass Pro shops sells a 30" ball for $340! The one review for that said they didn't even get the center rod so all you got was the plastic ball with a hole in it.

Yes, I could imagine that is related to getting our info from people who have a vested interest in you thinking you got a good dive and don't want your money back because currents or weather blew you out. They probably have plenty of disclaimers about weather, currents or your fitness (though those currents would overwhelm Superman) not being their responsibility but still get requests for refunds, so best not to mention anything about it.

BTW, I was going to respond with a joke that I found who was stealing all buoys with a page from Ebay showing mooring buoys but actually found that those things are pretty pricey! 15" ball is well over $100 from retailers, even over $150, and Bass Pro shops sells a 30" ball for $340! The one review for that said they didn't even get the center rod so all you got was the plastic ball with a hole in it.
The sanctuary buys those 32” balls from Carolina waterworks. $299 plus tax.

When you see the mooring balls underwater, or even partially underwater it is 100% assured it is not diveable.

When you see the mooring balls underwater, or even partially underwater it is 100% assured it is not diveable.
Even if they are only throwing a wake, it's not advisable. But on a boat with 24 divers, you still have to toss a DM in the water to tie in the sideline. When you have to recover her 1/2 mile downcurrent, even the passengers realize that it's a bad idea....

Even if they are only throwing a wake, it's not advisable. But on a boat with 24 divers, you still have to toss a DM in the water to tie in the sideline. When you have to recover her 1/2 mile downcurrent, even the passengers realize that it's a bad idea....
Most of us…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom