Children die playing with scuba gear left in pool - Jensen Beach, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If any of you ever worked with argon, you know that if you fill a flask with argon it stays filled with argon. This is even better seen with colored heavy gases, such as chlorine or NO2. So a mix of gases won't separate by itself in accordance with molecular weights, but a heavier gas will stay at the bottom for some time unless you mix it forcibly with the rest.

Reactions: Dan
So is this about all we're going to hear about this accident?
Probably. I’m curious what other information you were looking for. As far as dive accidents go, the information came out pretty quickly.

In case you missed it, the tank was filled with He, not air, or any other breathable gas mixture. Most of the discussion has been around speculation that it was a trimix bottle not pure He. That led to further discussion about whether trimix will separate after some time.

I cannot imagine what further information will come out at this time. I assume there is a pretty good chance for a lawsuit, although that is not a certainty. If there is, then more details will emerge. For the people involved, there is no incentive to release more information, and doing so would undoubtedly be painful.

If any of you ever worked with argon, you know that if you fill a flask with argon it stays filled with argon. This is even better seen with colored heavy gases, such as chlorine or NO2. So a mix of gases won't separate by itself in accordance with molecular weights, but a heavier gas will stay at the bottom for some time unless you mix it forcibly with the rest.
Actually I do work indirectly with Argon because we overlay our open drug product vials with Argon before we seal them. Yes it will settle to the bottom but over a brief period of time it will dilute with the surrounding air until an equilibrium occurs. In the context of this whole argument about gas stratifying in a scuba tank sitting for a long period of time, it just would not happen, if anything the longer it sits the more the gasses mix together.

I mean there are real world examples of heavier than air gases killing the whole villages of people due to an earthquake releasing gasses trapped below the sediments of lakes, but within a relatively short time it dilutes out into the surrounding atmosphere until equilibrium is reached.

I know someone that knows all the parties involved. Let’s just say one of the members involved does not have the best reputation as a diver. I’ll just leave it at that. I would hope some kind of criminal negligence charges get filed.
Considering the fact that I actually know all of the parties involved personally, I find your remark to be extremely arrogant.

I know someone that knows all the parties involved. Let’s just say one of the members involved does not have the best reputation as a diver. I’ll just leave it at that. I would hope some kind of criminal negligence charges get filed.
In case you are not aware, this reads as if you gloating. And I try to read posts with a positive tone. Point is 2 children died, personal grudges have no place in accident analysis.

In case you are not aware, this reads as if you gloating. And I try to read posts with a positive tone. Point is 2 children died, personal grudges have no place in accident analysis.
I’m sorry that’s how it sounded, that was not my intentions . I will delete it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom