East side beaches overrun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like the east side is still getting drowned in sargassum. Anybody been over there in the last few days? Seems like a really bad situation since they don't really have anywhere to put the stuff once it's washed up.

It has also been speculated that something that is contributing to the killing of hard corals on the Cozumel reefs may be hitching a ride into the area on the sargassum.

"Environmentalists have also warned that if sargassum collected from beaches and the sea is simply sent to landfills to rot, the weed – which emits sulfuric acid and arsenic once removed from water – could contaminate aquifers and supplies of fresh water." Scary if true.

Seems like arsenic may be a problem with sargassum.

Sorry photo did not load
2294CC0B-92F3-4C3F-B1CF-1D08BD332F18.jpeg

Punta chiqueros looking south. Old resturant naked turtle

Punta chiqueros looking south. Old resturant naked turtle
Wow. You are old school. It hasn't been the Naked Turtle for decades.

But yes, the sargasso is a lot worse in those pictures than it was when we were there in the middle of May.

Wow, this is even worse than I pictured in my mind after reading the article. Thanks for posting the pics. Sad situation. I hope it can be solved in years to come.

If no one removes the sargassum, as in the picture above where appears to be 2 feet thick/high, how long does it take to break down?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom