I f*** up and I am ashamed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the ISO 24801-3:2014 "Dive Leader" Standard, i.e. DM.

11.3 Minimum number of open water dives
To be certified as a scuba diver level 3, the student shall have logged at least 60 open water dives or 50 open water dives with a total accumulated underwater time of 25 h. At least 40 of these dives shall have been completed after level 2 in accordance with ISO 24801-2.
At least 30 open water dives shall include as wide a range of environmental factors as possible to ensure that the student has a wide range of experience. Examples of more demanding environmental factors can be:
— low visibility (less than 2 m horizontal);
— currents (more than 0,25 m/s (approximately half a knot));
— cold water (less than 10 °C).
If the local environment does not include any such factors, the candidate’s diving experience should be broadened by completing a greater number of dives and/or including dives of greater depth (e.g. more than 30 m).

That's not nice of you. Anyone can go here: Divemaster | PADI

Now...
1) where is it written that these approximately 50hrs are in the water?
2) where is it written that one MUST satisfy that amount of time?

There is a big difference between what people usually do is what people MUST do. I would like to understand what people MUST do, that is, the absolute minimum requirement. Which, to be clear, I don't consider good practice, but I want to understand it.

Also, you aren't even considering the possibility that @Dody's instructor didn't follow the rules, and I do not understand why you consider this option impossible.
Of course anyone can go...I was just saying, when @Dody did his DM course, going by the industry standard, he would have had to work extremely hard for one week, and hats of to him because thats what he did. If you want to have faith and trust in yourself, then you better choose a LDS that doesn't go by "what they usually do", disregarding agency poilcy @ginti . I don't consider that option impossible, but if a LDS gives DM certs by cutting corners, than for me the cert is bogus, and an utter insult to the industry(talking to the LDS who may do this not you lol) but cheers!
:cheers:<TG>

The person who suggest diving with 5 kg might have had a point. There is room to experiment between 2kg and 5 kg. It sounds to me like a buoyance control issue. It is easier to manage a little extra weight by adding air to the BC.
If you keep a log book and document what happened and read that entry before your next dive maybe it will make sense to try some more weight. The only way to get experience is to have experiences. You can't know what you don't know, but once you know, you can't claim ignorance any more.

Of course anyone can go...I was just saying, when @Dody did his DM course, going by the industry standard, he would have had to work extremely hard for one week, and hats of to him because thats what he did. If you want to have faith and trust in yourself, then you better choose a LDS that doesn't go by "what they usually do", disregarding agency poilcy @ginti . I don't consider that option impossible, but if a LDS gives DM certs by cutting corners, than for me the cert is bogus, and an utter insult to the industry(talking to the LDS who may do this not you lol) but cheers!
:cheers:<TG>

Well... we agree :cheers:

Even if the instructor goes only by minimum standarts one part of them is to evaluate the diving skills of the divemaster.
For Padi one "skill" the divemaster has to perform is: Being a rolemodel for students.

When an instructor signs of a DM he insures, that he has good diving skills, good enough to be a rolemodel.
If you got a DM candidate, that has hundreds/thousands of dives and can do all the skills on demonstration level, prior to the class(maybe just some finetuning), then a one week course is doable.
If the student lacks core diving skills, like weigthing, bouyancy and fin techniques(at least a normal flutter kick should be expected) and he gets signed off, then the instructor did violate the minimum standarts.

The person who suggest diving with 5 kg might have had a point. There is room to experiment between 2kg and 5 kg. It sounds to me like a buoyance control issue. It is easier to manage a little extra weight by adding air to the BC.
If you keep a log book and document happened and read that entry before your next dive maybe it will make sense to try some more weight. The only way to get experience is to have experiences. You can't know what you don't know, but once you know, you can't claim ignorance any more.

+1 for keeping a logbook of this type of info. I highly recommend it as a strategy for dialing in a diving rig and learning in general. At first, my logbook was an account of what I saw. Then I started keeping track of the amount of weight I wore, where I put that weight, what I was wearing, and how I felt at depth and at the SS. It was worth trying different amounts in different locations until it was correct for me and my configuration. I also kept track of experiences during the dive I felt I could learn from and needed to remember. One example of this is detailing my successes and failures of deploying a DSMB from depth.

For those who dive regularly, logging this info may not be as important. However, I am fortunate if I log 30-40 dives in a year, so I consult my logbook at the beginning of every trip and this allows me to configure my gear the way it was when I last dove in that location.

Honestly. You have many many more dives than me but do you really care about uncontrolled ascent? It should never happen once you know your stuff. Faulty LPI, lost weight belt or upcurrents are the only instances I would worry about runaway ascent. I agree that an easy reply would be that I don’t know my stuff… yet.
Am I reading this correctly? You don’t think an uncontrolled ascent is a problem? Did you miss this part in OW?

It would be interesting to know how many divers review their training course material? On a regular basis? Ever?

A common reply theme seems to be "how could you not know that?"

Maybe:
- the concept was not taught (bad instructor)
- the concept was not learned (bad student)
- the concept was learned but then forgotten
- the concept was learned but then replaced by incorrect old wives tales content...

Maybe a regular review of training material would be beneficial? What say you?

It would be interesting to know how many divers review their training course material? On a regular basis? Ever?

A common reply theme seems to be "how could you not know that?"

Maybe:
- the concept was not taught (bad instructor)
- the concept was not learned (bad student)
- the concept was learned but then forgotten
- the concept was learned but then replaced by incorrect old wives tales content...

Maybe a regular review of training material would be beneficial? What say you?
I’m a geek so I actually review my OW and AOW books before a drive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom