Can I dive without an octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't have octopus regs when I learned how to dive.
Everyone should know how to buddy breath.
Didn't have BCD's either. It was manual inflation of "horse collar".
I'm glad to hear that we haven't learned anything new since 1974. Certainly makes things easier.

I can’t find any details in these posts about the history of the regulator in question, but I dive with the same model 2nd stage for primary and secondary. If I had a fault with one second stage, I would be getting both second stages and the first stage serviced. Everything has had the same exposure to salt water.

Yes.

Your training depends on agency & time of cert. If you're asking, you weren't taught to accept 1 reg. Now'days, some require a computer & don't teach tables anymore but if you got cert., before the nerd changes, online elearning, mandatory CPUs, ect., like before your instr probably even got certified, you were taught tables & sharing, as well, as OCTO - no questions asked, share. It isn't an excuse, to not buddy dive or turn down a buddy but that's up to you, if you can't handle 1 reg. ... Over here, today, people soil themselves. I accept it from a buddy & look forward to it.

Unless you’re diving Solo and you have a complete redundant air source with you, the answer is not recommended.

Even assuming that you’re shore diving (a charter boat should not allow you to dive without proper equipment), in an OOA emergency situation you’ll endanger others as well as yourself. A panicked diver will surely grab your second stage from your mouth, especially if that octo is nowhere to be seen…
My octo broke and is being fixed(probably takes a week or two):(.
Can I go without it for week or two?(is it illegal or something?)

Apologies if someone already mentioned this as I haven't read every response, but a lot of people who always carry a bailout bottle ditch the octo. Probably a good idea to have one or the other. If I had to choose one, it would be a bailout bottle.

Apologies if someone already mentioned this as I haven't read every response, but a lot of people who always carry a bailout bottle ditch the octo. Probably a good idea to have one or the other. If I had to choose one, it would be a bailout bottle.

Do you mean a pony? A BO bottle has very specific meaning as emergency open circuit backup for rebreather divers.

Nobody expects to be the "what if", but someone has to be. Why run the risk when you can purchase another. Then you have it for future "what ifs" as well. I know I'm a newb, but that's what I would do.

When I began diving, back in prehistoric times, I was taught how to buddy breathe. No one had octos. Somehow, we lived through it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom