How to mount 2x canisters for light and heating system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Markos Valsamis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For those who have two separate battery canisters, one for a heating system and one for an umbilical torch, how do you store these in your DIR twinset rig? Are they both next to each other on the right waist harness so that the long hose loops round both together? Is there a better way?

I keep 2 20Ah canisters adjacent on my right hip and run the long hose loops around both together. Heat can closest to plate. When you plug it in, ensure it doesn’t ensnare the long hose or light cord. An S-drill ensures it won’t but it’s still obnoxious to undo and re-plug in. It does impair easy access to your butt d-ring if you’re very narrow bodied, so I tend to use my left but could use the right arm in a pinch.

Alternative method would mounted upside down along the right side of the plate (similar to 6cuft argon bottle on left). Again ensure it doesn’t impair long hose donation. It’s harder to reach here.

I keep 2 20Ah canisters adjacent on my right hip and run the long hose loops around both together. Heat can closest to plate. When you plug it in, ensure it doesn’t ensnare the long hose or light cord. An S-drill ensures it won’t but it’s still obnoxious to undo and re-plug in. It does impair easy access to your butt d-ring if you’re very narrow bodied, so I tend to use my left but could use the right arm in a pinch.

Alternative method would mounted upside down along the right side of the plate (similar to 6cuft argon bottle on left). Again ensure it doesn’t impair long hose donation. It’s harder to reach here.

Thanks that's very useful. Whats the best way to ensure the E/O or equivalent cord for the heating system is the right length and not too long? Are these interchangeable i.e. can buy a different length? Or do you make a loop out of it if too long?

I put both canisters on the right. Make sure to leave a little space between the cans and the BP. Then just loop it normally. No issues with E/O length. I'm using a 160wh UWLD for heat and an old fat Dive Rite wreck can for my light. Long hose routes fine. Like anything, practice before serious dives and ALWAYS do an S drill

Both together and on the right hand side of the waist belt. The heater plugs into the suit with a short E/O cord. Torch is as per normal. Longhose under whichever's more convenient, or both (depends on the size of the cannisters - the heater battery is larger than the torch battery).

On the rebreather, the heater cannister's mounted on the unit and the hose routes a bit like the suit inflate (on the other side). The torch cannister's mounted on the waistbelt; obviously no longhose.

I put both canisters on the right. Make sure to leave a little space between the cans and the BP. Then just loop it normally. No issues with E/O length. I'm using a 160wh UWLD for heat and an old fat Dive Rite wreck can for my light. Long hose routes fine. Like anything, practice before serious dives and ALWAYS do an S drill
For the OP, sorry to hijack :)
Regarding the DR wreck, is it still the original or you have repurposed it? (I have two of these in the bottom of my diving closet:))
Thanks

For the OP, sorry to hijack :)
Regarding the DR wreck, is it still the original or you have repurposed it? (I have two of these in the bottom of my diving closet:))
Thanks
I swapped the trailer connectors out for Andersons, put a 9ah NIMH battery in it, and added an E/O cord. I use it with my Halcyon Focus light. it's overkill but it's paid for and has worked well for over a decade.

I swapped the trailer connectors out for Andersons, put a 9ah NIMH battery in it, and added an E/O cord. I use it with my Halcyon Focus light. it's overkill but it's paid for and has worked well for over a decade.
Thanks. It gives me an idea :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom