Travelling / Boat Diving with Rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 663072 Its really snug even a bit of a press fit with the weight bracket..

Thanks @Dusty123 .. IM2700 same depth .... press fit with weight bracket and wing, but will work well.
I tried to save on weight and ordered a case without wheels .... dunno how that will work in long run.
IMG_2402.JPG

How about diving solo on CCR?

Don't do it, don't even practice in a pool without someone watching you Shallow water blackout is a risk. Your loop then fills up and your unit becomes negatively buoyant, you sink and it becomes deep water drowning.

A mouthpiece strap keeps the loop in your mouth. You constantly monitor your oxygen levels. You don't just "pass out" unless you've a good reason, which is probably lack of monitoring and control.

Solo CCR diving's great. It's about sorting your own issues out and thinking whilst doing. You carry adequate bailout gas for the dive plan and regularly practice bailing out. You run through checklists and plans in your head. You keep on top of your skills through practice. You constantly monitor what's going on at an almost subconscious level.

It's sublime to be utterly surrounded by sea life that just ignores you as you're not blowing bubbles. It's brilliant to be able to play around and within a wreck without gas anxiety. It's so much nicer breathing warm, moist gas with lots of lovely helium in the mix so you can remember the dive. Hanging around decompressing is so much nicer alone as nobody's cramping your style.

When your time's up, it's up. Until then just get on with doing the things you love.

Solo CCR diving's great.

I'm sure it feels great but I haven't done it. At times it has slowed my progression, because I couldn't find a buddy.

However I have a new appreciation for all the "team stuff" the GUE fundies guys were banging on about. I have had to bail out, I have seen other buddies have to bail out, and I have told other buddies to bail out, because of problems their units were having that they couldn't see. So I'm going to stick to my no solo rule.

I have told other buddies to bail out, because of problems their units were having that they couldn't see.
Care to tell the story?
Was it something that was missed on the bubble check?

Care to tell the story?

We were both diving rEvo micro's. We discovered the problem during the bubble check, but we had delayed the bubble check by 5 min because the lake bed was at 2-3 m, and visibility was ordinary. So we did the S drill in 10m, I went first no probs, when it was my buddy's turn there was a the torrent of bubbles coming from under the lid of his revo, I signalled to go the the surface.

My buddy was moving a bit slow in ascent (more like 1 m per minute), bubbles were still coming out from under the lid, and I was worried about his unit flooding / caustic / weighing him down, so I signalled him a second time to switch/bail-out and ascend.

I was told that the unit held a neg in the build, but that it was a weak neg. Back on the land, there was no water in the unit, but the unit wouldn't hold a neg. So maybe my recommendation to bail-out was a bit conservative, but after only a 120 CCR dives, I have never seen more bubbles coming out of a re-breather, there was an obvious problem.

I was told with some removed, cleaned and lubed o-rings at home and the neg was restored. Maybe one of the large o-rings around the revo lung well had rolled when the lid was put on. In hindsight it was a pretty easy fix, that could have been done it in the back of the SUV on the shoreline.

We also had a bit of a re-awakening about lubing o-rings. The manual says at a "minimum the interval between checking and greasing should nevertheless never be longer then one month." I think this is now being interpreted by us as "remove o-rings, clean and re-grease at least once a month."

Thank you!

For the lurkers, when I'm CCR solo, I do my bubble check by rolling face up, and watching for bubbles that float by me. Not seeing ANY, I consider my bubble check negative. I think I would have picked this one up.

I'm sure it feels great but I haven't done it. At times it has slowed my progression, because I couldn't find a buddy.

However I have a new appreciation for all the "team stuff" the GUE fundies guys were banging on about. I have had to bail out, I have seen other buddies have to bail out, and I have told other buddies to bail out, because of problems their units were having that they couldn't see. So I'm going to stick to my no solo rule.
whats the hand signal fro you need to BO? is there one?

whats the hand signal fro you need to BO? is there one?
you = point at buddy
watch me = two fingers towards your mask
you = point at buddy
loop = shake loop one hand
switch = other hand two fingers in a v switching front to back in front of the DSV

and then we he looks at you puzzled, pass him your bail out reg and do it again.

We were both diving rEvo micro's. We discovered the problem during the bubble check, but we had delayed the bubble check by 5 min because the lake bed was at 2-3 m, and visibility was ordinary. So we did the S drill in 10m, I went first no probs, when it was my buddy's turn there was a the torrent of bubbles coming from under the lid of his revo, I signalled to go the the surface.

My buddy was moving a bit slow in ascent (more like 1 m per minute), bubbles were still coming out from under the lid, and I was worried about his unit flooding / caustic / weighing him down, so I signalled him a second time to switch/bail-out and ascend.

I was told that the unit held a neg in the build, but that it was a weak neg. Back on the land, there was no water in the unit, but the unit wouldn't hold a neg. So maybe my recommendation to bail-out was a bit conservative, but after only a 120 CCR dives, I have never seen more bubbles coming out of a re-breather, there was an obvious problem.

I was told with some removed, cleaned and lubed o-rings at home and the neg was restored. Maybe one of the large o-rings around the revo lung well had rolled when the lid was put on. In hindsight it was a pretty easy fix, that could have been done it in the back of the SUV on the shoreline.

We also had a bit of a re-awakening about lubing o-rings. The manual says at a "minimum the interval between checking and greasing should nevertheless never be longer then one month." I think this is now being interpreted by us as "remove o-rings, clean and re-grease at least once a month."

Thanks for this. Time to "service" the O-rings...

Always run fingers around the O-rings to check for debris and grease, but it's a good reminder to clean and grease the O-rings.

Care to tell the story?
There are two people that I know of who had atypical CO2 hits that manifested as loss of judgment and clumsiness. They both needed to be convinced to bail out by teammates. Both felt this would have ended poorly if diving solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom