Should I be rinsing the cylinder valve and opening after dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I change over in a boat which is really a large canoe for the second dive, so not getting the 1st stage wet with salt water is impossible. It has to be rinsed.
As other have said, it under pressure, so water cannot get into the mechanism of the valve. Just give it a little purge after to blow out the water from the hole. Simple.

Do nothing. The valves are designed for that.

Blasting air out of a cylinder is supremely annoying to those around you.

This is just such bad advice. One of the easiest ways to ruin a $400 tank is to fail to blast out the valve. It should be done regardless of whether you rinse the valves or not. Saltwater can easily get into the valve opening on a rough ride in after a dive. If you fail to blast that water out before filling, the slug of water will get sprayed into the interior of the tank when it is next filled.

I am somewhat anal about blasting the valves clean after a rinse and then try to remember to do it again when loading the tanks for the trip to the shop and often crack the valves once more before unloading them from the truck on the way into the dive shop.

This is really very important.

This is just such bad advice. One of the easiest ways to ruin a $400 tank is to fail to blast out the valve. It should be done regardless of whether you rinse the valves or not. Saltwater can easily get into the valve opening on a rough ride in after a dive. If you fail to blast that water out before filling, the slug of water will get sprayed into the interior of the tank when it is next filled.

I am somewhat anal about blasting the valves clean after a rinse and then try to remember to do it again when loading the tanks for the trip to the shop and often crack the valves once more before unloading them from the truck on the way into the dive shop.

This is really very important.

+1

You sound just like me!!

Do nothing. The valves are designed for that.

Blasting air out of a cylinder is supremely annoying to those around you.

Only if it's done incorrectly. Cover the valve opening with a simple towel and blast it with 2-3 short bursts. No one has a clue you are even doing it.

Only if it's done incorrectly. Cover the valve opening with a simple towel and blast it with 2-3 short bursts. No one has a clue you are even doing it.
I've two dozen cylinders and none of them have ever been rinsed after a sea dive -- unless it rained on the way back in. Same with the regulator sets (and multiple stage cylinders); they rarely get rinsed, although all cylinders and regulators are hung up to dry in the garage after use.

Is it ok to use Caribbean dive boat ops as the gold standard of care?

Consider a 2 tank dive. Half of the tanks are exposed to salt water spray on the way to the first dive. All of the tanks are exposed to salt water spray after the second dive. None of the tanks are ever rinsed...

Don't do it. Too much opportunity for water to get trapped and create a problem. If you want the rinse the tank and valve do it with a regulator attached and pressurized. If the tank valve is getting too much build up, is hard to screw in a DIN, or is hard to open or close then get the entire valve serviced.[/QUOTE
definitely good to know! Ill rinse with first stage attached. Thank you for the help!

I've two dozen cylinders and none of them have ever been rinsed after a sea dive -- unless it rained on the way back in. Same with the regulator sets (and multiple stage cylinders); they rarely get rinsed, although all cylinders and regulators are hung up to dry in the garage after use.

I'm glad for you. I do not intend to do the same. Not a chance.

I blast my valves and handle and air hole with a garden house before getting them filled many hundreds of times. It helps with corrosion.

However, don't do it on any empty tank and always remember to blast the water out by opening the valve afterwards.[/QUOTE
thanks for the feed back, it seems like people are split to rinse or not rinse. Thanks

I wouldn't wash the valve, or if you do, dry it immediately after with compressed air.
  • Your risk residue or corrosion inside the valve.
  • You risk water entering your first-stage, which can damage your first stage.
  • You gain little to no benefit from washing the valve. While in use, your valve is covered by a regulator. While not in use, it should be getting that dirty, especially if you use a valve-cap.
If you want to keep your valves clean:
Thanks for the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom