Drysuit diving training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edhjr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
My first drysuit experience was a couple of days ago. The drysuit was Bare Aqua-trek Pro 1 size 3x. The legs were longer than I needed. The excess material wrinkled around my legs causing pain and discomfort.
I've decided to invest in a custom made drysuit as most off the rack drysuits are proportionally indifferent to me.

even if the suit was too big, it should never cause pain. sounds like perhaps you were experiencing "suit squeeze".

you are correct that many people just cannot fit a suit right off the rack. a custom fit suit can be great, assuming your body size does not change substantially (weight gain / loss for example), and that the person measuring you for the suit knows what they are doing and orders everything properly.

even if the suit was too big, it should never cause pain. sounds like perhaps you were experiencing "suit squeeze".

you are correct that many people just cannot fit a suit right off the rack. a custom fit suit can be great, assuming your body size does not change substantially (weight gain / loss for example), and that the person measuring you for the suit knows what they are doing and orders everything properly.
Yes

There is a reason for CMAS. History repeats.

edhjr, did you take a drysuit course or receive other training prior to using the suit? Suit squeeze is normal and can be dealt with. But oversized "billowy" legs in a drysuit can lead to inversion and uncontrolled ascent due to excess air. That also can be dealt with but requires learning a roll technique to adjust.

edhjr, did you take a drysuit course or receive other training prior to using the suit? Suit squeeze is normal and can be dealt with. But oversized "billowy" legs in a drysuit can lead to inversion and uncontrolled ascent due to excess air. That also can be dealt with but requires learning a roll technique to adjust.
First time in dry suit and training. I don't know how the dive shop will accommodate my size for training. Perhaps, if the dive shop cannot provide a dry suit to train in, maybe they will let me buy a custom made suit at a discount?

Having paid for dry suit training, they may be obliged to make exceptions and help me out. I was going to buy a custom suit any way.

Find someone who knows what they're doing to measure and guide you; it's worth up to several hours of drive time. I'm not familiar with shops up your way, maybe others can offer some suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom