Any tips for sea sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife loves to dive but has a lot of problems with sea sickness. It seems to be getting worse. I feel bad for her as she gets really disappointed because it prevents her from doing what she loves. She has tried Dramamine and Bonine and it helps a little but not all the time. Was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks that might help her. Thank you!

Just want to add that I never thought that Dramamine worked for me, but it turned out I was taking it wrong. Several people told me to take it the night before diving rather than first thing in the morning. Some said to take it at night and then in the morning. That worked for me. I used the less-drowsy Dramamine and do take it the night before and also in the morning. I grew up on the water and even having spent so much time on boats I have always been prone to seasickness. I made it through an 8 day LOB and the only time I felt remotely sick was the last day because I forgot to take the Dramamine the night before.

My wife gets seasick. She swears by peppermint beadlets or dried ginger.

She said even the peppermint candies help.

I usually take ginger snaps and they work great. I've tried ginger ale but I don't like the carbonization during the dive. You can also make a lot of friends by sharing with other divers that aren't feeling so hot.

If ginger works for seasickness, so should wasabi, pickle juice, and spicy peppers. Also will work for leg cramps, maybe through the same mechanism of oral neuronal stimulation overriding other neuronal imbalances.

Awesome is this a pill and is it over the counter?

My wife's was a patch she wore near here ear. Prescribed by her physician.

on a typical dive boat.....stay near the stern. sit low in the boat. keep eyes on the horizon. sip some ice cold ginger ale. maybe experiment with different meals before heading out. some like to eat light. me, i get nauseous if i am hungry so.....bring on the pancakes !!

As former professional mariner and tug boat captain, I say that rick00001967 is giving the best advice. Eating food that does not upset your stomach is the key. Don't eat a lot, eat small portions but do it often. Find a drink that goes down easy but does not have an aftertaste or other un-needed side affects, like belching. Almost pure water works for some (bottled water). Hard water tastes like effluent to me when I am not feeling well.

I have a ritual that I go through on the first night out after a long absence from the ocean. On those moonless cold winter nights, with the wind howling and the seas running around 10 feet, I can feel a little uncomfortable. I always pack my favorite rough water meal: tuna fish sandwiches and some grape juice. I make sure I eat a ½ sandwich every couple of hours.

Most people can't differentiate between hunger pangs or seasickness.

On the fishing boats, I would cure a sick crew by going to the bait tank and grabbing some live anchovies or sardines. I would ask if anyone was hungry. They would respond no, and then they would watch me stuff several chovies in my mouth head first with the tails flipping away just outside my mouth. The rails were instantly lined with people calling for "ART", "Ralph" and "you F-BOMBER".

Puke and get it over with.

Doc is right, at one point you have to clean-out your stomach and start over.

Then I would feed them burnt dry toast (carbon helps). Next we would move onto something like breakfast burritos (no bacon or sausage), they work well. A little salsa actually helps. The breakfast burritos don't have to be eaten right away. They can be held and nibbled on. Next, we would get them busy catching fish. That fixed 'em!

cheers,
m

Doc is right, at one point you have to clean-out your stomach and start over.

I have never met anyone that has puked their guts out and felt better afterwards with seasickness. My wife has a problem for at least 24 hours after getting on dry land.

Wow, that's bad. Mind you, throwing up doesnt help me either. I don't get relief until i get somewhere stable or sleep. Then I'm normally just tired and weak until the next day.

Start with lollipops.

Reactions: Doc
i never used to but the last couple years i get quezzy if its choppy.

i find If i sit down and just look around or at horizon its ok. soon as I look down and start gearing up ect it gets bad quick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom