Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. And Phase 3 references 80% being vaccinated. Right now the numbers on people going are way down. We might never get passed Phase 3. Perhaps it explains Cayman Reef Divers packing up and leaving the island!

With the whole north shore in extremis due to SCTLD, the disease marching down seven-mile beach (and that started several months ago), and dive sites on the East End now positive for it, it’s not surprising that Reef Divers pulled up stakes. This is on Ocean Frontiers’s website: “Are you taking the Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease seriously? This disease is worse than the invasive red lionfish, more destructive than a cruise ship anchor and more of a threat than coral bleaching all rolled into one.” Tragically, there’ll be no return-to-normal for the dive industry on Grand for the foreseeable future, in my estimation, regardless of COVID restrictions. Pray for the sister islands.

Any idea what "securely verified" means in a vaccine context?

Unless they change the definition, that is going to rule out those of us that got the jabs in the US and received our little paper certificate. The Cayman argument is that there is no national database and the vaccine paperwork is too easy to generate fake copies. With our Florida governor fighting against “vaccine passports “ it will be interesting to see how things progress with the cruise and tourist industry operating out of Florida. Coupled with the high 80% requirement I really cannot see the Caymans having a successful reopening without some changes being made. As others have said, all this makes it easy to see why Reef Divers wants alternative resorts. On the bright side, I look forward to hearing reports from another dive destination that I have not visited. Perhaps we can start a fund to send @drrich2 so we may have one of his very complete and enjoyable dive reports. Be safe

I see new possible opening dates and rules announced this morning. Opening for US fully vaccinated with no quarantine in mid Oct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom