Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless they change the definition, that is going to rule out those of us that got the jabs in the US and received our little paper certificate. The Cayman argument is that there is no national database and the vaccine paperwork is too easy to generate fake copies. With our Florida governor fighting against “vaccine passports “ it will be interesting to see how things progress with the cruise and tourist industry operating out of Florida. Coupled with the high 80% requirement I really cannot see the Caymans having a successful reopening without some changes being made. As others have said, all this makes it easy to see why Reef Divers wants alternative resorts. On the bright side, I look forward to hearing reports from another dive destination that I have not visited. Perhaps we can start a fund to send @drrich2 so we may have one of his very complete and enjoyable dive reports. Be safe

I might be inclined to contribute. @drrich2 is a grandmaster trip reporter!

Events and openings have gotten ahead of the vaccine passport concept and IMHO is concept that is going now where, at least for travel through the end of the year.

The EU poured a ton of time and money into the concept but openings and travel went ahead before the roll out making it essentially irrelevant.

It remains to be seen what GC will require in the coming months but if they are serious about trying to open up to US tourists in October, all they will require is that you attest on a travel form that you have been vaccinated. That is what open islands and countries are doing now.

It remains to be seen what GC will require in the coming months but if they are serious about trying to open up to US tourists in October, all they will require is that you attest on a travel form that you have been vaccinated. That is what open islands and countries are doing now.
I was just in Aruba. They are fully open to US tourists and you were not required to provide proof of vaccination - you just needed to have a negative PCR test within 72 hours of departure from the US.

I was just in Aruba. They are fully open to US tourists and you were not required to provide proof of vaccination - you just needed to have a negative PCR test within 72 hours of departure from the US.

Same as T&C.

Events and openings have gotten ahead of the vaccine passport concept and IMHO is concept that is going now where, at least for travel through the end of the year.
The EU poured a ton of time and money into the concept but openings and travel went ahead before the roll out making it essentially irrelevant.
I beg to differ. The EU vaccination pass is intended to make it easier to travel; it was never meant to be any prerequiste or single solution. Right now, it's either your vaccianton record (a lot of Europeans have the yellow WHO style booklet or a national version of it), a printed or electronic version with a QR code of your vaccination on national level or the printed or electronic QR code of the EU. All are accepted (and checked were required). The EU versions main goal is to have something that can be checked automatically at airports e.g.; it also makes negotiations with other countries easier, as they then have to check only one version for 33 countries

The reopening plan is out. Still some questions about how US and Canadian travelers can be “securely verified” as vaccinated. Right now only UK and Cayman health services vaccinations can be securely verified. Re-Opening Plan | Cayman Islands

%2Fmcusercontent.com%2Fdaa6b6828241669a54648c926%2Fimages%2F9b3266b5-e88a-4c8a-8dcd-fb62932dc1c2.png

%2Fmcusercontent.com%2Fdaa6b6828241669a54648c926%2Fimages%2F607b3aa0-7083-ebcb-68a7-41130979813e.png
Dear Diver,

In our last update, we promised to bring you the Cayman Islands government reopening plan, and on, July 8, 2021, the government revealed its phased reopening plan which is already underway. There are several steps in the plan, each with ease in travel restrictions, that by January 2022, will see the Cayman Islands open to all travelers (not just vaccinated travelers). So, with this news, we are excited to look ahead to 2022 and get back to our beloved Cayman Islands!
%2Fmcusercontent.com%2Fdaa6b6828241669a54648c926%2Fimages%2Fab5b2e54-08b5-fc83-b049-4eedebd62e8c.png

The reopening plan is out. Still some questions about how US and Canadian travelers can be “securely verified” as vaccinated. Right now only UK and Cayman health services vaccinations can be securely verified. Re-Opening Plan | Cayman Islands

Based on how overly conservative the plan is, I wouldn't hold my breath that they will stick to it. And wouldn't be putting any money down.

Based on how overly conservative the plan is, I wouldn't hold my breath that they will stick to it. And wouldn't be putting any money down.
Yeah, I am not planning to go back to the Caymans any time before Fall 2022 at the earliest. I have no confidence they will get their stuff together and figure out a way to "securely verify" our little white vaccination cards and I fully expect them to start pulling the rug out from under folks when those dates start getting closer. They have done it every step of the way so far when they have actually committed to semi-firm dates, so I have no expectation that will change going forward. Tourism is clearly lower on their list of priorities than it is for alot of other countries in the Caribbean (which is their prerogative), so I am going to go spend some money in other countries for a while while the Caymans decide if they really do want anybody to come back or not.

They’re permanently off my list. Pissed me off 100%. I’m done. Many other alternative Caribbean destinations. I’m still fighting with Jetblue to get my deposit back for an October trip. They have not yet canceled their now empty flights.

Back
Top Bottom