Dive computers - buckle or bungee strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using the Dive Rite slate + Shearwater computer + Trilobite line cutter combo that Cave Adventurers makes. It's a pretty simple rig based on a continuous loop of bungee, and I find that it works well.

Donning and doffing the unit is a heckuva lot faster than futzing with the individual straps that come with Shearwaters. The combo just slides on and off, and there are no loose strap ends to tuck.

Adapting the bungees for wetsuits and drysuits is a breeze. For wetsuit use, I tie an extra knot on the exposed bungee ends. For drysuit, I take out the extra knot.

Accessing the Trilobite is likewise super-easy. The cutter is always in the same spot, and its sheath helps hold the bungees in place. I just have to make sure that I match the correct combo unit to the correct wrist so the Trilobite deploys toward my hand rather than toward my elbow, but color-coding the Velcro (red = right) is an easy solution to that issue.

2021-06-30 23.58.53 resized.jpg

2021-06-30 23.59.08 resized.jpg

Elastic but not bungee. I have an Oceanic Geo 2. The watch strap became irritating real quick. I didn’t like having to use the extender and it was always loose at depth. I tried a NATO strap that fixed the length issue but not the flopping around. Third try is an elastic French paratrooper style band. It’s working well. Adjustable, elastic, continuous loop so even if the buckle lets go the strap is looped around your wrist. $15-$20 online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom