Do you have a fitness regimen?

Do you regularly engage in a fitness program?

• Yes

Votes: 95 81.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 18.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did until I retired and Covid happened. Diving has always been the primary reason. I used the gym at work and then a gym in town after I retired. It's closed now and I've fallen into sloth mode so. No

Sloth mode I've found is less painful.

Crossfit 4-5 days a week. I’m stronger and more cardiovascularly fit than I have been since my 20s. Still have a gut cause I like food, but thats another story and its been getting smaller lately

run a 5k about 4x/week, admittedly mainly to keep my dog in shape but it has its advantages for me, use rowing machine and do general bodyweight exercises 5ish days a week. It definitely shows during the long teaching days when I have energy and the students are beat

Hey Jim,

I know you recently stepped down from teaching AN/DP because you felt that you didn't have the fitness necessary to properly care for your students in case something went pear shaped. I commend you for this and highly respect your level of self-awareness and your decision. I enjoy teaching cave and tech divers but I also know that there's only so many years left that I'll be able to do this - I need to be able to push my students physically and mentally, and if I were on the ragged edge myself, I would be useless if a problem were to arise.

Ken, it was a combination of things. Fitness was actually a small part. It was more realizing that my reaction times and pure physical strength are not where I think they need to be taking students to 130-150 ft. An even bigger part is the mental and emotional limitations and results where I think through what I would could happen if an incident occurred on a dive. I'm not willing to go there.
I still teach intro and AN because those don't require depth in reality. They require time. My AN students average 5-6 hours of bottom time for AN alone.
But fitness is certainly a component. Like I said, my physical fitness level now it better than it has been in years but I know my physical limitations as well as the mental and emotional ones.

I’m getting over a period of pretty low activity but I’m into the more annoying activities: Peloton spinning and CrossFit. I try and ride or get in a workout 3-6 times a week mixing it up between the two.

After a month or so off I really felt it the other day when I was bringing multiple sets of doubles to get filled and moving them in/out of the car.

'''but I think it it's an important part of diving for the general population as well.

Hi kensuff,

Disclaimer: I am neither a Tech diver nor an instructor. I do have a Tec 40 cert, but that does not make me a tech diver.

I agree with the points you make in your OP. I have had a physical fitness regime for years. My body has some wear and tear on it. I have found the best way to avoid joint pain and back pain is with an exercise regimen that focuses on low impact exercise. Although, I do run short distances 3 times per week. For many muscle groups, a quick run does wonders. I have exercise equipment in my basement that gets used almost daily.

I also ride my bike, up to 25 miles about twice per week, or more depending on the season and weather. We have done 39 mile rides back to back. That does not happen often.

We walk a lot and we hike in the woods.

I occasionally fell trees, limb, buck, and hand split fire wood.

Because of C-19, I have been focusing on eating healthy with lots of complex carbs and lean protein. I have avoided processed foods and mainly simple carbs.

I have lost 20 pounds (the equivalent of 2½ one-gallon water jugs). I can't believe I was packing that much weight every time I pick up two to three water jugs!

I am 61 and feel like a million bucks!

My blood pressure has fallen to below the pre-hypertensive range, my blood numbers have improved, and my stretching exercises have increased my range of motion for almost all muscle groups.

Every activity that I live for is easier because of better physical fitness and a good diet. Every activity, including sex.

I am thankful for C-19 (for one thing and one thing only) because it forced me to take my diet and exercise program to the next level.

cheers,
m

I'm not an instructor or tech diver, but I've found having a good fitness routine is very helpful in regards to recreational diving. Just having the strength to haul gear and tanks is helpful. Nothing wrong with needing help, but I like to pull my weight (so to speak). Plus, I feel like having good cardiovascular fitness helps with lowering air consumption. I lift weights every weekday morning, working with a personal trainer. I also do some cardio with him, walk the dogs (big, fast dogs) almost daily - not during storms, etc. and am generally active throughout the day. Having lost a bunch of weight has also helped. I lost 40 lbs last year just by getting off of sugar and working out more. Some days I just don't feel like going, but I still get my tush out of bed and go to the gym. I think this is more important as we age. I'm more fit now at 51 than I was in my 30s and 40s.

I was a cyclist long before I took up diving and still try to ride to keep in shape. Too be honest, diving has forced me to cut back my cycling from the 8-10 hours a week I used to do to only 4-6 hours per week -- mostly because I'd rather go diving on Saturday morning than spend 3-4 hours in the saddle. My wife is also a fitness trainer, so she makes me lift heavy things and put them down repetitively on occasion.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom