Do you have a fitness regimen?

Do you regularly engage in a fitness program?

• Yes

Votes: 95 81.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 18.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squats, bench press, deadlift and shoulder press for strength and swimming laps for cardio.

I said yes. Working in a warehouse environment there are plenty of opportunities to maintain fitness, without having to step into the workout room.
Did a year in a dairy cold warehouse for a year when I was young. Every single case was touched by human hands, drug around and stacked pulling tickets onto a conveyer where the trucks were loaded largely by hand. We loaded out about 20 semis worth a day six days a week with a 4 man cooler crew, easy 60 hours+a week .
We all looked like Olympians, albeit ugly ones. There we guys in their 50s in there, unbelievable they lasted. Loading docks and warehouses eat people alive.

Did a year in a dairy cold warehouse for a year when I was young. Every single case was touched by human hands, drug around and stacked pulling tickets onto a conveyer where the trucks were loaded largely by hand. We loaded out about 20 semis worth a day six days a week with a 4 man cooler crew, easy 60 hours+a week .
We all looked like Olympians, albeit ugly ones. There we guys in their 50s in there, unbelievable they lasted. Loading docks and warehouses eat people alive.
So do slaughter houses. Nearly 3 years slinging and deboning front quarters while they moved on a chain in 38 degree temps. Until the place went under for not giving the IRS their money. Loved that job.

I worked in the fitness industry as a strength coach for over 15 years and have still worked with clients off and on for years. A few years ago I injured my neck and right shoulder and it threw me off... I started drinking... and I ended up going from 230lbs at 12%BF to 210 at 24%BF. Then Covid happened and I rebooted. Dropped 20lbs of fat.. started running. Been sober for 9months. Lost an amazing amount of flexibility but I'm working on it. Lost an amazing amount of lean muscle but.. Really I just want to get back to a solid fit baseline. No more meathead anymore.

So the bottom line...

I now...
Jog 3.2miles EOD
Eat as clean as I willing.. still have some ice cream now and then.
Don't drink.. any calories for that matter..
Working on the weightlifting as my shoulder and neck are still weak and I don't want to reinjure. My garage is a full gym so no excuses there.

If I were to give one tip as it related to fitness. Do hinge work aka deadlifts or something similar and do loaded carries. Both will flow over to diving and overall long term health

Loaded carries are: "Youtube them"
1. Farmers
2. BearHug
3. Prowler - Push
4. SuitCase - One-arm Farmer’s Carry
5. Juggernauts - Dan John

5/3/1 is a great tool in the gym even if your not a meathead.

Ruck is awesome too. Tire drags will kick the crap out of you in a 1000meters.

Keep the shoulders and hips flexible.

and Swim.. Pool, Ocean, Lake....

2 good sites.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR5N2EzP0mOMyhfh9rhEQDA
https://www.youtube.com/user/mountainathlete

I was walking 5-20 miles a few times per week to lose 50 pounds. It would take all day for the 20 miles walks, so I began riding a bike instead. In the past year, my rides have been between 5-130 miles. I have 15 rides of at least 100 miles with the longest being 130.17 miles. I hate riding bikes, but I hate being 50 pounds overweight even more.

Covid really affected a lot of things. At first they shut down the coast and there was no place to park to go diving. After that I got busy with work and let my fitness go. I had a hip replaced five years ago but never really fully rehabbed myself properly and favored my other leg so flexibility went way down on my left hip (operated side). I started drinking a lot during Covid and earned a good size gut from it which put strain on my lower back and posture which finally now resulted in left leg sciatica which is damn painful. I’m on a quest now to lose about 30 lbs. (or more) and doing light weights along with stretches. I used to be very heavily into bodybuilding and powerlifting when I was young and weight training is something that I continued through the years, just not as heavy. Next is an exercise bike which will be here in a few weeks. And finally, a steadfast commitment to do more shore diving off my local coast and seriously get involved in the urchin removal dives in my area. Diving is some of the best exercise when you combine everything involved in a day of shore diving.
I might include some freediving again, and I would like to start swimming too but pools are scarce in my area and the ones we have are always crowded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom