DIR- GUE Replaceable Drysuit Neck and Wrist Seals - Latex or Silicone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galodoido

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I assume user-replaceable wrist seal systems are very common. Is it the same with neck seals? Or is it more common to not bother with replaceable neck seals?

I also got a recommendation to choose a silicone neck seal instead of a latex neck seal. What materials are preferred for neck seals? I guess this is mostly about comfort?

I am not a fan of user replaceable neck seals. I use the Santi Smart Seals for wrists only. Before that, the DUI Zip Seals.

@ericfine50 latex neck seal? Any reason why you don't like the user-replaceable neck seals?

I have used both Latex and Neoprene. I just don't like the feel of ring systems and don't trust the Sitech ones.

I don't like replaceable neck seals anymore. I used them for 10 years on DUI suits and they weren't a big deal. A year ago I got a santi suit. I had stuck with dui suits for years specifically due to the replaceable seals. My local shop told me that neck seals are simple to replace compared to wrists, so a replaceable neck seal is overkill. Now that I'm diving without that neck ring it is a million times better. That ring gets in the way more than you realize. Everything feels better without it. In 10 years I've torn multiple wrist seals, so having user replaceable wrist seals is important. I've yet to rip a neck seal

They're fantastic. Would never buy a drysuit without them.

Kubi gloves with silicone seals. Latex ones eventually rot. Some people like latex. Takes about 5 mins to change a torn wrist seal.

The Si-tec Quick Neck seal with silicone seal. Can be changed in 5 mins.

Make sure you pack spares in your drysuit bag. And spare drygloves (takes 2 mins to change).

dui zip seals are solid, however the silicone zip seals don't stand up well on the wrists. they're fine for the neck seal but i'd use latex for the wrists. if you do use silicone seals on the wrists, keep a set of spares with you. nice thing about the zip seals is you can always change one out.

They're fantastic. Would never buy a drysuit without them.

Kubi gloves with silicone seals. Latex ones eventually rot. Some people like latex. Takes about 5 mins to change a torn wrist seal.

The Si-tec Quick Neck seal with silicone seal. Can be changed in 5 mins.

Make sure you pack spares in your drysuit bag. And spare drygloves (takes 2 mins to change).

Just the same here. Been using them for some years now, won't ever buy latex again or non removable seals, those mean postponing a dive for several days when one is torn. Beside silicone is more durable.

Concerning Neck seal, the very first model was very stiff and could be a bother, nowadays, you won't fell it.

I'm not a DIR guy, but I prefer silicone seals. They're sturdier and quite comfortable.

Now that I'm diving without that neck ring it is a million times better. That ring gets in the way more than you realize. Everything feels better without it. In 10 years I've torn multiple wrist seals, so having user replaceable wrist seals is important. I've yet to rip a neck seal
My opinion is about 179 degrees from yours: User-replaceable wrist seals are vital, but ring systems on the neck seals work better than the glued-in type.

I've had drysuits with and without neck ring systems. In my experience, the DUI zipseal was workable but clunky (and expensive, and inconvenient if you don't have access to the proprietary seal you need, and there are two mutually incompatible versions of it), whereas the SiTech neck ring is fast and easy to install, takes any seal that's handy, and has never been in the way.

I've ripped at least two neck seals, and I've had a few perish from age/use. None of the local shops where I've lived have been able to install glued neck seals, and I don't have the setup or know-how to do it myself. The time and expense required to ship off my suits to get new neck seals installed has ranged from annoying to prohibitive.

In sum, SiTech FTW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom