Help Needed, Visiting the Indonesian Islands for the First Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thomas Fair

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When it comes to international dive travel I would be considered a newbie, having never been past the borders of the United States. For my first big international travel trip my friends from our university's dive club have decided to spend two and half weeks exploring the islands surrounding Bali (Not the main island of Bali itself). As group leader I've tasked myself with diving deep into forums, youtube videos, and google maps to plan the best possible first trip for divers. So far what I've found is that there is SO much information out there, it feels disorienting. I know that we would like to spend some time on Nusa Penida (5 days) known for both its diving and its views (Though it seems the social media influencers are starting to take over that). We also know we would like to visit Lombok (4 days) for a few days. Accounting for our flying (~2 days there, and ~2 Back) I am left with 5 Days. I am seeking help to find a third place to visit and dive in a reasonable travel time for those 5 days. Some of the places I've been seeing are Komodo, Raja Ampat, and Alor. I know I'm probably missing something, and my main concern for these place is access without a liveaboard (I will definitely do a liveaboard on another trip because I don't get seasick). Please let me know your thoughts, I know this was super long, I'm only trying to convey as much information as possible to better help you help me.

Restrictions:

- No liveaboards (Some group members are afraid of sea sickness and constantly being on a boat)
- Somewhat Limited Budget (It's a long trip so keeping costs down is essential)

Time Frame
- June 2022

Thanks and ask any questions.

If you are on a limited budget then I would personally recommend spending the time on mainland Bali. You will loose at least a day if you fly.

We love the eastern part, so Padang Bai and Tulamben for great reefs, wonderful wreck diving and excellent macro. Then in the afternoons you can do temples or shopping.

As I am sure you know the Covid situation in Indonesia is getting worse. The government has prioritized vaccinations in Bali where 70 per cent of adults have been vaccinated. So if you get in, it might be safer for you and for everybody else to avoid unnecessary air travel while in Indonesia.

If for most of your friends it would the first time to Indonesia my advice would be not to move twice during your stay. It always takes much more time and energy than expected. Further, I do not understand why you do not include Bali. Very large diversity in excellent dive sites. Or why not just plan all your trips from there. Okay, this was the easy part. Now the more painful story. Nobody can predict at the moment how the coming 12 months will look like. We probably all agree that Bali June 2022 will not resemble Bali 2019. The most positive among us here might think that June 2022 will be fine again to visit. They might be right, or not. Some companies which you still can find on the internet at the moment might be gone by then. Whatever you want to book, I think it makes sense to book only if you can do that without a deposit or at last a fully refundable deposit. This might not be easy for a group because the risks for the operator could be too big if you would have to cancel last moment.

@Thomas Fair my travels have been from the UK, but international is just that.

Before I book/confirm anything I will take out travel insurance. I also sort out vaccinations, some require a 6 month booster to be effective. In the last 10 years I’ve spend nearly £1,000 on them as our NHS doesn’t cover them.

I agree with the others, why exclude Bali it’s got fantastic diving and site seeing. Spending an extra few days in airport lounges doesn’t appeal to me.

First international trip with friends to a country with completely different culture, infrastructure, mentality etc etc. You ought to cut down on un-necessary travelling.
Indonesia is facing an up-hill battle with the virus at the moment. Luckily(relatively speaking) all major diving destinations are outside of Java and Sumatra. But no one can predict what would happen between now and end of 2021.
My vote is also for Bali.
1. It has top side attraction.
2. Diving is diverse.
3. Unless diving in Tulamben(shore dive) otherwise it is usually a boat trip with 2-3 dives.
4. Use Padang Bai as base first and then take the fast ferry to Lombok.
5. Move over to Nusa Penida after returning from Lombok.

Wait until beginning of 2022. It is really pointless at the moment.

two and half weeks exploring the islands surrounding Bali (Not the main island of Bali itself).
What do you mean with that, could you be more specific? Indonesia is a country of more than 14.000 islands spread out from NYC to SF : so what appears to be close on a map may not be actually. I don't know how close and which are those "islands surrounding Bali" for the closest it would already be Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Penida, or... you're already in either Java or Lombok, but that's already other regions of Indonesia.Is flying 2hrs still ok for you?

You seem to be pretty adamant on visiting Lombok, may I ask what you're expecting? Depending on what you want to do it either takes much more time than 4 days (cultural, mountain trekking) or maybe not worth it compared to other spots (if diving is the reason).
While on the other hand 5 days in Nusa Penida is a long time , I would spend 3d/4n, time I would dive 2d the north coast and/or channel (incl. Toyapakeh, SD, Crystal bay) and 1d the SW coast (Manta point or bay), usually you have 2 dives in the morning and the whole afternoon to ride a scooter. that would be enough for visiting NP.

No one knows what 2022 will be made of, wait and see until Q1 22 it will be time for you to book your arrangements but if it goes even slightly back to "normal" (ie. flights operating and accoms open) I would strongly advise you to go to Labuan Bajo for diving Komodo 3-4 days, even on day trips. Labuan Bajo still has that indonesian remote feel (I guess for a first timer while the regulars -like me- will complain of how it has changed from how it was 10 years ago) : street food at the market, backpacker hostels and bars that you may not find anymore in Bali.

On either case, back to normal or not, I agree with all other fellows diving Bali is great (I wouldn't come back for the 11th time on a lame dive spot) providing you don't stay in the south western parts (talking about Sanur, Kuta or Canggu areas). You can easily spend a lot of diving days betwen Tulamben and Padang Bai (although Padang Bai mainly leads you to diving Nusa Penida spots, which you would have dived already staying on Nusa Penida).
Ideally on a dive trip, I would recommend coupling Bali and Komodo (Labuan Bajo) which is direct 1,5hr (cheap) flight from Bali and provide some of the BEST diving in Indonesia. Forget Alor or Raja Ampat much too far away.

Agree with Luko. A Bali/Komodo combo is most doable. There are land-based options in Komodo if a liveaboard is off the table. If this will be your group's first trip to the region of the world, Komodo will be pretty mind-blowing. Really.

+1

I have nothing to add that has not been said by others. :p

Yet I needed to show my support.

OP, I suggest you contact The Underwater Tribe and let them set up an itinerary for you, based on Bali. They arrange hotels, provide transportation, guide the dives, and it is all quite affordable and easy.

Some of the places I've been seeing are Komodo, Raja Ampat, and Alor.

I'm interested in responses to your thread, since I haven't been over there, either, and I've been researching the topic rather like you have...and yes, it's a lot of info. to dig through. I've seen a couple of issues come up before that I don't think have been discussed yet in this thread, so I'll bring them up from my notes and see if those of you who've been there can confirm or deny where my notes so far are right.

The question of Komodo vs. Raja Ampat comes up from time-to-time on the forum. The impression I got was Komodo has more drift diving but maybe better viz. (but north Komodo and south Komodo are somewhat different, so it becomes important to decide which you will hit, if not both). I've been told RA has the edge on diving (note: this could start a big debate, I imagine!) but if setting foot on the island of Komodo or neighboring Rinca and seeing wild Komodo dragons in person, and being able to say 'I've been there!' every time Komodo is mentioned on a nature show, well...

From what I've read, the Raja Ampat live-aboard season is Oct. to May (but the best time is narrower; Mid. June to Mid. Sept. monsoon season, and Dec. and Jan. are good times to go). I know you're not after a live-aboard, but when the boats go might suggest when diving is better.

With Komodo, north Komodo is warmer with better viz. and south Komodo colder with more plankton and lower viz. but rich life. I think it's from Blue Water Dive Travel's site that I put together this blurb:

"c. For best access to all sites, BWDT recommends March to May, and again Sept. to Nov. From mid.-May to early Sept., SE winds make some southern sites inaccessible – but it’s the best time for northern sites! Mid.-Nov. – Jan. is optimal for southern conditions, but most northern sites are exposed.
d. Best all access: March – May or Sept. – Nov.
e. Best Northern: Mid.-May to early Sept. Best Southern: Mid.-Nov. – Jan."

I have no idea what seasons are best for other regional destinations - Bali, Sulawesi, PNG or the Solomon Islands.

You've not been outside the U.S., this is a university club, and some of your people are afraid of sea sickness and being on a boat (you didn't say they suffer from it, just that they're afraid of it). Gotta ask...how much experience do you guys have? I ask because, for example, the drift diving and lower viz. of southern Komodo don't sound like a great match for a fairly new diver.

Apologies in advance for whatever I managed to screw up in my efforts to wrap my mind around some pieces of this large, diverse region. I hope others' answers to my questions can at least be helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom