How much oxygen to carry for emergencies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterglutton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am wondering how much oxygen people are carrying for first aid purposes on their boats? I hadn't given it much thought since our dives these days are recreational and at most are within an hour of land (and minutes by chopper), and I'm carrying a D size tank which is 406 liters. But in the course of chatting with folks today it's occurred to me that's only about 25 minutes use at 15 LPM in a resuscitation situation.

I was thinking of going to an E size, which is about 660 liters so about 40 minutes on that, but even then I figure not enough so I would need to carry a "D" and an "E" and change mid-use. But I am very nervous about carrying the extra cylinder on a boat that's already jammed with gear on scuba days.

The white DAN bottle is 228 liters, so a lot less. And I can keep the flow rate on the O2 down at 12 LPM vs. 15 LPM, which will extend the life of the tank albeit at the cost of a lower oxygen level in the BVM.

I'd appreciate any wisdom/experience on the subject?

I definitely wouldn’t make the cut for the wisdom club but why not just bring an AL40? That’s 1100 liters at 220 bar. At 20lpm on an agitated casualty, you’ll have 55min of uninterrupted gas (more with air breaks) until evacuation to higher care.

I definitely wouldn’t make the cut for the wisdom club but why not just bring an AL40? That’s 1100 liters at 220 bar. At 20lpm on an agitated casualty, you’ll have 55min of uninterrupted gas (more with air breaks) until evacuation to higher care.

What if you only have O2 provider and not a cert that allows for 100% O2 fill in a 40.

What if you only have O2 provider and not a cert that allows for 100% O2 fill in a 40.
The obvious answer is change to a more understanding dive shop that won't impede your attempts to save someone's life.:gas: and while you're at it, why not dedicate an AL80 as your emergency O2 tank, adding a long hose 2nd stage octopus to an existing demand regulator will permit treatment of 2 divers at the same time and adds only pennys to the total cost.
Michael

Oops…not many options but to take a course.

The obvious answer is change to a more understanding dive shop that won't impede your attempts to save someone's life.:gas: and while you're at it, why not dedicate an AL80 as your emergency O2 tank, adding a long hose 2nd stage octopus to an existing demand regulator will permit treatment of 2 divers at the same time and adds only pennys to the total cost.
Michael

Funny thing is when I took the PadI/DAN 02 provider I had the same inclination. I picked up a AL40 and went down to my local LDS to have it filled. As why would I need to spend $$ on DANs setup. Low an behold they said you can fill a DAN/medical grade cylinder but not a scuba cylinder. I was quite agitated.

I am wondering how much oxygen people are carrying for first aid purposes on their boats? ... I'd appreciate any wisdom/experience on the subject?

How big a boat? (How many divers?) Can it accommodate a T/K/S/Q (etc.) cylinder? If divers are diving in buddy pairs, then you might better plan for two simultaneous accident victims. Maybe use the (smaller, more portable) DAN bottles for transporting the victims from the docked boat to the parking lot, or from the docked boat to the medical clinic just down the street, in town.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom