DIR- GUE Replaceable Drysuit Neck and Wrist Seals - Latex or Silicone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@JMBL @stretchthepenn how wide is the SiTech neck ring? Is it flexible at all?

@Marie13 how wide are your shoulders if you don't mind me asking? Just so that I have a comparison.

I just did a quick measurement on myself and I have approximately 15 inches (38 cm) from shoulder to shoulder.
What is your concern?

It's fine on my drysuit; don't notice it at all. Have replaced 3 or 4 neck seals: pretty trivial to do (when compared with a fixed neck seal where you've got the unmitigated pain of finding someone to replace the seal at the peak of diving season).

What is your concern?

It's fine on my drysuit; don't notice it at all. Have replaced 3 or 4 neck seals: pretty trivial to do (when compared with a fixed neck seal where you've got the unmitigated pain of finding someone to replace the seal at the peak of diving season).

@Wibble my concern is whether or not it gets in the way and restricts shoulder mobility. How wide are your shoulders?

@Wibble my concern is whether or not it gets in the way and restricts shoulder mobility. How wide are your shoulders?
I wear "large" T-shirts - 42" chest. Really never notice the neck seal at all, certainly it doesn't rub or anything like that. The silicone neck seal's very flexible; I use some vet lube on the wrist seals and wipe some on the neck seal which makes pulling it on a lot easier. The actual ring isn't noticeable once the suit's donned.

Have done a lot of twinset diving, so shutdowns and the like in this drysuit. All seems fine; just the usual winter underwear that makes it harder, not the neck seal.

I wear "large" T-shirts - 42" chest. Really never notice the neck seal at all, certainly it doesn't rub or anything like that. The silicone neck seal's very flexible; I use some vet lube on the wrist seals and wipe some on the neck seal which makes pulling it on a lot easier. The actual ring isn't noticeable once the suit's donned.

Have done a lot of twinset diving, so shutdowns and the like in this drysuit. All seems fine; just the usual winter underwear that makes it harder, not the neck seal.

@Wibble medium, sometimes large t-shirt. 38" chest. How wide are you from shoulder to shoulder? And do you know how wide the neck ring is just so I have an idea of where it would sit on my shoulders?

I've packed the drysuit away, but would expect it to be fine with your measurements. The ring's a bit wider than your head (never catch your head when playing the tortoise). It's definitely fitted to slimmer suits.

I've packed the drysuit away, but would expect it to be fine with your measurements. The ring's a bit wider than your head (never catch your head when playing the tortoise). It's definitely fitted to slimmer suits.

@Wibble ok. So when you wear it, does the shoulder strap sit on top of it? Or it doesn't really catch it?

I'm 1,80m (5' 9"?) and don't have especially wide shoulders, pretty normal IMO.
I have never felt that the ring gets in the way of mobility for me, I know a lot of people have issues with it though but I suppose it comes down to how you're built and what size you are.
Don't ever see myself going back to a latex neck seal on my primary suit.

@Wibble ok. So when you wear it, does the shoulder strap sit on top of it? Or it doesn't really catch it?
Never noticed. I don’t think so. I dive with a backplate and have never noticed any additional pressure.

@JMBL @stretchthepenn how wide is the SiTech neck ring? Is it flexible at all?

@Marie13 how wide are your shoulders if you don't mind me asking? Just so that I have a comparison.

I just did a quick measurement on myself and I have approximately 15 inches (38 cm) from shoulder to shoulder.
On a drysuit's interior, the Si-Tech ring measures about 10 inches in diameter. On a drysuit's exterior, the ring measures about 9 inches in diameter.

Regarding flexibility, I'd call the Si-Tech neck ring a "semi-flexible" system. The glued-in ring system itself is made of sturdy but pliable plastic, and the decorative element on the outside (a crenellated design akin to a castle wall) will let the ring system conform a bit to one's shoulders/chest.

However, the removable interior ring that actually clamps the neck seal into place is made of sterner stuff, and it fits tightly into a groove, which means it has even less opportunity to flex. Once that removable ring gets wedged into its space, it can't bend a lot or else the neck seal will pop out.

And since you asked about shoulder measurements, mine are roughly 21" across. I can see how a narrower person might well have some issues with the Si-Tech neck ring system.

I've never noticed an issue with the shoulder straps resting on the neck ring. I'll verify this when I'm diving tomorrow.

From memory, the shoulder straps hang closer to my shoulders than my neck. The neck seal ring is large enough to put my head through, but not much larger -- it's not an issue as you're pushing your head through the seal which centralises the ring.

Biologically, placing a large weight on the neck muscle, i.e closer to the neck than shoulder, is tiring and most peoples shoulders slope down at that point. Most weight will be taken closer to the shoulder which is bony and 'flat', thus weight bearing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom