Sidemount Fin Recommendation? (Frog & Reverse Kick)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In warm waters with smaller boots I use the DR XT
The only thing that fits my rock boots in cold is Turtles

Unless you're in splits the reason you can't frog is you

Going from the somewhat floppy S/M Eddys (lighter material) to the size Large Eddys (much stiffer) made a big difference with my frog. Fins do matter!’

What're y'all's opinions on the Dive Rite XTs and how they stack up to OMS Slipstreams/Hollis F1s? I mostly dive SM and have been using Slipstreams and F1s, but I just picked up a used pair of the D/R XT in gray, and I think I quite like them.

What're y'all's opinions on the Dive Rite XTs and how they stack up to OMS Slipstreams/Hollis F1s? I mostly dive SM and have been using Slipstreams and F1s, but I just picked up a used pair of the D/R XT in gray, and I think I quite like them.
I was going to suggest adding DR XTs to the list. I find frog kicking effortless. Vigorous flutter kicking takes a good amount of power and stamina. I use slower, deeper flutter to hold or gain ground against current

I learned to frog kick in my old aqualung blades. Not the blades II, those are junk. Having tried jets, Hollis F1's, F2's, Mares quattro's, eddy's, turtles, HOG tech fins, and basic paddle fins by Aeris, Tusa, Genesis, and Edge, as well as Atomic splits, and some generics I've found that the basic frog kick can be done in any fin. If the base technique is solid, the fin doesn't matter. I frog kick in my 3 ft long MAKO free dive fins and they work just fine. You just need to adjust the base technique for some of them and use less power, more power, more finesse, etc. and just relax.
It's a very relaxing kick that many people I've worked with got once they stopped trying to overpower it. That is also a big mistake I see when teaching people to back kick. Which again, once you have the base technique down, can be done with any fin or no fins. I can back kick much faster with no fins and just boots on than I can swim with just wetsuit boots.
The frogkick is not a constant kick like a flutter/scissor. It's a kick and glide technique. Can you do constant? Sure. But when I do that most of my buddies have a hard time keeping up. Plus, it's not a race.
Right now I use the HOG fins for 95% of my diving. For big open water like the Great Lakes or open ocean, if I'm not doing penetrations, I'll take my F1's.

good fins, but have to kick VERY differently with them than with a Jet or jet style fine. The basic frog kick is the same, but the tips respond a lot differently so what you do with your toes at the very end takes some getting used to. They unfortunately don't make them in size enormous so I can only use them in very thin booties so I have a set for pool use and use my XXL Eddy's for everything else.

What @Jim Lapenta says is generally true. With good and flexible technique, it is possible to do a passable frog kick with many fins. It is mainly feeling the pressure against the fins as you kick. I had a very difficult time doing an acceptable frog kick with Excellerating Force Fins Excellerating Force Fins vs. Dive Rite XTs Perhaps others have had a different experience.

Maybe with those feet, @tbone1004 barely needs fins :)

Scubapro Jet Fins work well. No fins induce cramps. Weak muscles do.

Flutter kick is a valuable asset. Many people use the frog kick to avoid stirring up the silt from the bottom - but what if the silt resides on the walls instead? Then you will need the flutter kick!

What @Jim Lapenta says is generally true. With good and flexible technique, it is possible to do a passable frog kick with many fins. It is mainly feeling the pressure against the fins as you kick. I had a very difficult time doing an acceptable frog kick with Excellerating Force Fins Excellerating Force Fins vs. Dive Rite XTs Perhaps others have had a different experience.

Maybe with those feet, @tbone1004 barely needs fins :)

when students whine about their fins and not being able to go backwards, I take mine off... probably somewhat rude, but it hits home that the fins are not everything

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom