Current COVID/masking in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back Monday and both the Mega and Chedraui were enforcing the one person per group being allowed in. Restaurants were requiring masks, even those far from touristy areas.

Cozumel (and the tourists there) seemed to be taking the situation far more seriously than Tulum.

If I had known the local situation was as dire as Christi says I would probably have postponed my trip.

Just got back Monday and both the Mega and Chedraui were enforcing the one person per group being allowed in.

How odd. We arrived on the 13th, (still on the island), but have yet to see Mega limiting the group size. The Mrs and I never received so much as a peculiar or quizzical look.

There has been a lot of COVID for months. I know one business where almost 90 percent of the employees have had Covid at this point (2/3rds last summer and then a few more last month ).

With regards to flying, as others have indicated I am pretty sure no one is looking at the health forms going into the country. You do need to fill out a health form on your way out of the country because they require them to get through the security checkpoint on the way to your gate. The security guy puts them in a pile , from there I suspect they go to a larger pile or a large trash can

United has accepted the Covid test from my phone at check in counter a few times , but their internet based portal is pretty easy to use for uploading your Covid test electronically. I think you get an email with a link to something called travel center where you can upload your test. Last time i uploaded my Covid test , I got a text saying it had been approved within a couple of minutes. You will still have to give a verbal attestation at the United counter saying you took the test and it was negative. They have done it thousands of times at this point , so things generally go smoothly

I miss ChuckP’s running information pertaining to pandemic happenings in Cozumel. We are heading there next month and other than the US requirement for testing prior to return, what is going on in Cozumel? Are there any remaining requirements or restrictions? Or, are things somewhat back to normal?

I think the entire state has a mask mandate.

I have been to Cozumel three times in the last couple months. The AA personal know what they are doing and will clear a printed or phone copy of a test result very rapidly.

Thanks, that's helpful. We've flown in and out of CUN twice this year so far and both times have been asked for our test results, but it wasn't clear whether they needed to see the printed copy. Using the (useless) VeriFly app requires one to confirm that you've got a printed copy. You can't check in for your flight online with AA unless you've completed the VeriFly process. I know we could still check in at the airport, but I like to get checked in the day before so that I know we're all set for travel. This time I'll just tick the box anyway and not worry about finding someone to print a copy for me. Our dive shop doesn't have a printer or they would print for us.

The COVID situation on the island is worse that it has ever been. The hospitals are full and people are literally dying now. Although I no longer live on the island, I still speak to friends on the island daily. I spoke to a friend yesterday who has been to 3 funerals in less than 2 weeks from COVID. They also have had over 300 reported cases in the last few weeks, which is substantial for the island.

I understand the desire to want to help the economy of the island, but they do not have enough resources to take care of the residents, let alone a visitor who may get sick and stuck there.

I am not here to tell you how or what decision to make, I am just sharing the reality of the current situation. It is pretty dim.

Man, I had no idea it was this bad, thanks Christi. My niece was supposed to leave on her honeymoon there on Monday, but she realized last week her pp expired and of course it's weeks to get a new one, so they had to cancel. Sounds like a blessing in disguise

A new order was implemented last night - I have translated it below:

Chetumal, Q. Roo, Mexico - 20 July 2021
Governor Carlos Joaquin Gonzalez has called in the Navy National Guard to help enforce precautions to prevent the state from going into the Red Zone calling it "Safe access and open spaces" Beginning Wednesday, July 21, 2021 all public establishments including hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, and stores must require either a proof of vaccination or a negative antigen test within 72 hours prior in order to enter.

The Governor's objective is to avoid contagions in establishments, and continue to promote economic recovery, have safe access and open spaces in hotels, restaurants and boats.

He emphasized that all establishments must meet the following criteria:

• Respect the established capacity.
  • Require proof of vaccination or a negative test of PCR or antigen no longer than 72 hours from all guests at one entry point.
  • Ensure that all staff are vaccinated or have a negative test for COVID-19 every 72 hours.
  • Do not allow customer access after 10:30pm
  • Install air purifying filters in spaces that cannot be naturally ventilated, and use Carbon Dioxide meters to verify air quality.

He also announced that parties and meetings in all establishments, including boats and ferries are not exempt and are subject to the same capacities, sanitary measures, inspections and operations as were established earlier in the pandemic. Those who are caught will be subject to sanctions such as heavy fines, closures and/or revocation of permits and/or licenses.

This is due to a great extent, the fact that compliance with sanitary measures has been relaxed and that too many people no longer take the necessary precautions to break the chain of contagion.

The COVID-19 vaccine does not guarantee immunity, but has been proven to reduce the probability of showing severe symptoms including death in case of infection. If you are vaccinated, you may still contract the virus, and you may still infect others.

A new order was implemented last night - I have translated it below:

Chetumal, Q. Roo, Mexico - 20 July 2021
Governor Carlos Joaquin Gonzalez has called in the Navy National Guard to help enforce precautions to prevent the state from going into the Red Zone calling it "Safe access and open spaces" Beginning Wednesday, July 21, 2021 all public establishments including hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, and stores must require either a proof of vaccination or a negative antigen test within 72 hours prior in order to enter.

The Governor's objective is to avoid contagions in establishments, and continue to promote economic recovery, have safe access and open spaces in hotels, restaurants and boats.

He emphasized that all establishments must meet the following criteria:

• Respect the established capacity.
  • Require proof of vaccination or a negative test of PCR or antigen no longer than 72 hours from all guests at one entry point.
  • Ensure that all staff are vaccinated or have a negative test for COVID-19 every 72 hours.
  • Do not allow customer access after 10:30pm
  • Install air purifying filters in spaces that cannot be naturally ventilated, and use Carbon Dioxide meters to verify air quality.

He also announced that parties and meetings in all establishments, including boats and ferries are not exempt and are subject to the same capacities, sanitary measures, inspections and operations as were established earlier in the pandemic. Those who are caught will be subject to sanctions such as heavy fines, closures and/or revocation of permits and/or licenses.

This is due to a great extent, the fact that compliance with sanitary measures has been relaxed and that too many people no longer take the necessary precautions to break the chain of contagion.

The COVID-19 vaccine does not guarantee immunity, but has been proven to reduce the probability of showing severe symptoms including death in case of infection. If you are vaccinated, you may still contract the virus, and you may still infect others.
Nice! Vaccination, continual testing, or starve.

Let’s see if they actually enforce this on the ferries like they say they will. The ferries are likely the worst offenders. I think tried to reduce infection risk during the first few months of the pandemic , but they have done pretty much whatever they wanted for the past year

I don't think anyone is looking at those health questionnaires. Flying into CUN in June, I'd filled one out online, but my husband didn't. Nobody said a word about it. In fact, I'd filled out a questionnaire in February before we flew into CUN and had it printed. Not only did nobody want to see it, but when I tried to offer it, I was waved away.

Similarly, upon checking in for our outbound flights, we had to fill out a health form. People kept checking to see if we had the form, but nobody ever asked to actually look at it and it was never collected. Silly paperwork that's a waste of time.

Also, for anyone flying one of the airlines using VeriFly, don't bother with that. I ran around frantically trying to get things printed out so that I could honestly fill out our VeriFly info. Yet another thing nobody asked for. The AA check in person didn't care about it at all....just wanted to see my printed covid test. Supposedly if you fill it out, your check-in goes faster, but not if it doesn't get registered in the airline's system....or if they don't ask for it.

One thing I'm wondering about....do we really have to have a printed copy of that covid test? We're going back in a couple of weeks, but not staying at a resort and we won't have access to a printer. Our covid tests will be emailed to us in PDF format.

Flying out of Cozumel we were asked to show our Verifly app result at the American Airlines counter. We were never asked for the printed Covid test results but had to state we had it in our possession to complete the Verifly app process. Then we had to fill out the paper form stating we’re not sick - and that form was collected by TSA. Might be different in CUN - we flew out of CZM yesterday (July 20).

Beginning Wednesday, July 21, 2021 all public establishments including hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, and stores must require either a proof of vaccination or a negative antigen test within 72 hours prior in order to enter.
Wow! Can we have that in Texas?

So customers must show vacc-cards or recent negative tests? Harsh but effective.

Do they furnish vacc-cards in Mexico? I heard not, but never know what to believe.

Back
Top Bottom