Dive Boat Sinks in Pompano Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm trying to describe to my friends what happened so I made this picture. (I'm not very good with a mousepad and MS Paint so it looks like a first-grader drew it.) I'm not a boat owner or an experienced pilot, so I wanted to ask if this looks like an accurate description?
Personally, I think the low quality graphics add to it rather than detracting from it! That's great!

I'm trying to describe to my friends what happened so I made this picture. (I'm not very good with a mousepad and MS Paint so it looks like a first-grader drew it.) I'm not a boat owner or an experienced pilot, so I wanted to ask if this looks like an accurate description?
Pretty much nailed it with that picture. Now, as the current is pushing against the boat, the water goes around the pointy bow in the smart tie in, and goes in the boat withe the stupid tie in. I could see that the stern tie in would make it easier for the divers to enter closer to the spot. But, as you saw, it’s stupid, and only easier for the divers if the boat remains on the surface.

Do you recall hearing of the football players that went down in the gulf several years ago? Stern anchoring was the culprit then. Though, they actually anchored by the bow, but it got hung up. They then tied the anchor line into a stern cleat and tried to power off. Anchor still held, and the motor just pulled the stern of the boat under.

Really, this is boating 101.

Swimming down a line tied to a buoy or two is probably the safest way to tie into a wreck in good current. The divers are just dropped up current from the ball and grab the line for descent Last diver down releases the line or the DM can do it after the dive. I prefer a hot drop, but then everyone needs to know how to deploy their DSMB at the end of the dive. Nobody ties directly to the wrecks in Palm Beach County.

A little off topic.
Do you Guys use a 'shot line' for some dive sites, either from a float away from the boat , or run out from the boat ?
There is a few ways of doing it, and a useful point of reference on some dive sites.

As @Belzelbub said water goes around the pointy bow. The bow is also more bouyant than the stern and will rise to go over a wave more easily than the stern, or as I like to call it the blunt end of the boat , in most boats you have engines and fuel tanks towards the stern and any water in the bilge will tend to run towards the stern. Add in a group of geared up divers towards the stern, and you are losing free board.
I believe the boat has a walk through transom, so any water entering over the stern could be trapped increasing the angle of heel, and from there the problem just keeps getting worse. Freeing ports only work if they are above water.
I cannot see any reason for anchoring or tieing in by the stern. If it is too rough or the current to strong for divers to get to the bow i would ask myself if it was time to call the dive

A little off topic.
Do you Guys use a 'shot line' for some dive sites, either from a float away from the boat , or run out from the boat ?
There is a few ways of doing it, and a useful point of reference on some dive sites.
Nobody uses a shot line in Palm Beach County. Last time I dived a shot line was on the Hogan at the California/Mexico border on board Marissa, The current on the SE Florida boats may preclude this practice.

I believe the boat has a walk through transom, so any water entering over the stern could be trapped increasing the angle of heel, and from there the problem just keeps getting worse.

Yes. The middle third of the transom was basically a big fiberglass hatch that could be lifted out. Even in place it was not watertight. When removed it made a sluice for incoming water. Also, even when floating properly, the deck of the boat was low to the water, less than a foot. I think it was good for easy entry; not good for facing a current from astern.

Where I usually dive, off the coast of NJ, the operators use a "Carolina rig". The bow is attached to the buoy. The divers step off the back and quickly swim to a line and pull to the buoy and then descend on the line. When ascending we wait three minutes at 15-20 feet on that same line, but we must be mindful of the surf and our buoyancy because the line is not at a fixed depth.

I have also used the "hot drop" technique mentioned above. Sometimes the boat doesn't stop. Everyone gears up and steps off at one-second intervals as the boat passes over the target. We jump in negatively buoyant and meet below. We all have SMB and know how to deploy them at depth. This only happens when we have a group where we all know each other well, we have good visibility, and we all know the boat captain as well.

Why was the engine compartment cover removed? Did I miss that
In an earlier posting?

Down here in Oz on commercial vessels the engine compartment/room needs to be airtight and possibly have a coaming around it and the air intakes need to be able to be closed in the case of fire or diesel runaway.

Why was the engine compartment cover removed? Did I miss that
In an earlier posting?

Down here in Oz on commercial vessels the engine compartment/room needs to be airtight and possibly have a coaming around it and the air intakes need to be able to be closed in the case of fire or diesel runaway.

The engines seemed to be intact and none of the covers were removed, at least not that I could see. The vessel seemed to be seaworthy and well maintained when I boarded it.

My bad. Your comment that “When removed it made a sluice for incoming water.” made me think the covers had been removed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom