Current COVID/masking in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, speaking to a friend at one of the Coz hospitals that does alot of testing, 3 months is a long time to remain testing positive. They find in practice, its much shorter most of the time.

Like most things, it is an arbitrary number that covers the vast majority of cases. There may even be some outliers that test positive for 100+ days but you have to draw a line somewhere.

Cozumel continue to hold its ranking with Emiliano Zapata holding 6th place for the neighborhoods with the most active cases! (That got tested.) Centro in Cozumel has dropped off the list! (yea!)

View attachment 672497

Cozumel remains Orange another week.

View attachment 672498
I wouldn't put too much faith in those numbers I just checked
Geoportal de Quintana Roo
for the neighborhood where 4 friends of mine have covid and it shows the count as zero.

Edit. Just checked the neighborhood where their daughter and son in law are sick. It also shows zero.

I wouldn't put too much faith in those numbers I just checked
Geoportal de Quintana Roo
for the neighborhood where 4 friends of mine have covid and it shows the count as zero.

Edit. Just checked the neighborhood where their daughter and son in law are sick. It also shows zero.

I did say it was a gov number....

Reactions: BRT
First let me say, I think you should get the vax even if you had it as there is so little to lose and alot to gain. Just why not? Heck they are trying to prove the mRNA vax actually seems to help some long haul covid people.

However, I think when you downplay they natural immunity, to do a disservice to the cause. We don't know all those answers and we have to admit it.

Just recently the updated one study to say natural resistance lasted longer that they thought. (using bone marrow tests... OUCH)

And here is new data: Study with healthcare workers supports that immunity to SARS-CoV-2 is long-lasting: Despite a large heterogeneity in spike-specific antibody levels, most individuals remain seropositive for at least one year after infection

At the end of the day, we have figures on vaccinated people get sick vs not vaccinated. I don't know we have a number for past infection people.
And there seems to be no interest or effort made to get those numbers.

And that is perhaps my primary concern. Why don't we? We have been dealing with recovered people for much longer and have a much larger dataset. We had a hundred million recovered before the first public vaccination. Either they are not asking the questions and collecting the data for some reason or they are not releasing the results.
Come on. This research is done by people at universities and hospital that want to publish a study. Publish or perish?

Why can't anyone tell me what percentage of the new cases in Cozumel are from tourists versus locals? Why can't anyone tell me what percentage of the new cases had previously had covid?

First, seriously? Cozumel / Mexico can't figure out how to stop the ferry from being packed to the gills creating both danger AND inconvenience.

Second, except when they are running the free rapid testing clinics, it costs money to get a test right? I am sure many infected don't get tested. I know even in the US, doctors were saying, 'yea thats covid, just keep your sick a$$ at home.'

If anything 100% of airline tourists from other countries are testing so, you would capture a most of the infected one, symptomatic or not. And what does it tell you anyway? I know the story of a lady that flew in an was hospitalized within a day in CZM. So she prob brought it with her. But the guy that tests positive after 7 days? Where did that come from?

National tourists, who knows? They come and go in a packed ferry.

And how do you determine who had covid and got it again without a base line? Guy goes to CostaMed with trouble breathing, gets diagnosed and admitted with covid. Are you gonna just ask? I won money from people who swore they have covid but surprise, no antibodies. Once the got it, how accurate is testing to see if they had it before? Or the guy that had an asymtomatic case and didn't know it and come down with COVID. You would miss him.

And Mexico is working hard to get the vaccine out. Resources for testing and fancy studies must take a back seat there right? I dont think they have any contact tracing?

Here - back on March 2nd, they stopped giving us the total numbers of cases by each town, they switched over to this total thing, it still had same basic numbers but not broken down by city. I looked at it today and wow, big difference 5 months make.

In just under the last 5 months:

Deaths went from 2400 to 3200 - death rate went from 12% to 8% - way more testing

Positive cases went from 20,000 to 40,000 - doubled but again, much more testing

Active cases went from 900 to 4100 - there was like 1400 active cases back at the beginning of February when death rate was still 12% - so rough guess is at least a little more than twice as many sick people here than we have ever had.

People in the hospital - was just under 200, now is 300. Back in February is was 220's

Yep - more covid here for sure but there's a lot of people here too - it is almost busier than normal it seems......

He did. Died from a pulmonary embolism during his second bout. Looked liked he was improving then he was gone. I’m still in shock. Did at least 500 dives with him. He was a great buddy.

So sorry to hear that.... You might know of Dr Julio here, the vet, Covid real bad, lung kept collapsing, did lung surgery a few days ago and haven't heard anything yet.

It's touched a lot of people....

Mea culpa but we’re straying from Coz once again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom