Stealth Travel Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Handguns must be in a locked case (non-TSA lock). TSA lock goes on suitcase. Easiest to put a small locked case into your checked bag than in a case on their own that gets checked. I did it once about 6-7 years ago.
You may have forgotten how it works.
From Transporting Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration:
"Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations."

How this applies to transporting scuba gear is that you can declare, for example, a starter pistol, put it in the hard-sided bag with the scuba gear, hard-lock the bag, and off you go. It also all weighs more. But the big danger is not TSA, it is baggage handlers. they can easily open a zipper bag; a locked hard-sided bag is more difficult; one with a non-TSA lock is really hard.

Late to the party, but I got the 28" Eagle Creek No Matter What flatbed duffel roller. I wanted it on the small side because no matter how much I pack in there it never gets heavier than 50 pounds. If I get a bigger bag I will continue to fill it up as long as there's airspace and quickly go over 50 pounds! The 28" bag is big enough for my fins and BC, as well as clothes and everything else. It keeps me from overpacking. Also, the No Matter What Warranty is pretty cool - the website says they have replaced bags that have been mauled by tigers and run over by airplanes. Watch the Sierra website for sales. I got the 28" for $99 and I'm very happy with it. Roger has gone through 3 cheap bags from Marshalls or Tuesday Morning since I got this bag.

7228258D-F492-4C02-BB54-A3BD088A11D2.jpeg

I have a Stahlsac Smuggler. When I got it, I thought there is no way all my gear will fit in it but it did. It's not the cheapest but it has a limited lifetime warranty and it doesn't have scuba plastered all over the outside. Wheeled Dive Bags: The Smuggler from Stahlsac

What?

Are you really going to pass up on this fabulous 100 L p.o.s., which was given to me as a promotional item, years back ("yeah, we can get that for you in bright-ass yellow") -- which remains consigned to my closet, along with an off-season dry-suit; which just screams "steal me!" at 120 dB; and is even emblazoned with "DIVE-SPORT" on both sides, in honking font, just in case there was any doubt?

I simply cannot believe that . . .

Late to the party, but I got the 28" Eagle Creek No Matter What flatbed duffel roller. I wanted it on the small side because no matter how much I pack in there it never gets heavier than 50 pounds. If I get a bigger bag I will continue to fill it up as long as there's airspace and quickly go over 50 pounds! The 28" bag is big enough for my fins and BC, as well as clothes and everything else. It keeps me from overpacking. Also, the No Matter What Warranty is pretty cool - the website says they have replaced bags that have been mauled by tigers and run over by airplanes. Watch the Sierra website for sales. I got the 28" for $99 and I'm very happy with it. Roger has gone through 3 cheap bags from Marshalls or Tuesday Morning since I got this bag.
I'm similar. I have the Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler Wheeled Duffel 110L and the Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler Duffel 40L for carry-on.
The 110L holds (most) all of my SM gear including my drysuit, undergarments, a few items clothing and weighs in at ~43lbs.
The 40L has my regs, comp, Gopro and light batteries with more clothes etc.
That's for travel to cold water.
When I travel to Mexico or Caribbean it gets even lighter and easier.
The big difference maker is that the 110L bag, with good wheels, just weighs ~4.5lbs.
I have a couple Pelican Air 1615s I bought for dive travels but they just aren't worth the hassle I get from the airlines. The airlines, when seeing a Pelican, want to automatically send me to the overweight/sized luggage section or they put it in the oversized/ sports conveyor without telling me.

I could outfit the whole group with Samsonite and any other ite hard cases and soft duffels wheeled or not, large or small, and bike transport bags and those beautiful hard makeup cases, all perfect condition for only ten bucks each
from the opportunity shop

I could outfit the whole group with Samsonite and any other ite hard cases and soft duffels wheeled or not, large or small, and bike transport bags and those beautiful hard makeup cases, all perfect condition for only ten bucks each
from the opportunity shop

Opportunity shop?

I'm similar. I have the Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler Wheeled Duffel 110L and the Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler Duffel 40L for carry-on.
The 110L holds (most) all of my SM gear including my drysuit, undergarments, a few items clothing and weighs in at ~43lbs.
The 40L has my regs, comp, Gopro and light batteries with more clothes etc.
That's for travel to cold water.
When I travel to Mexico or Caribbean it gets even lighter and easier.
The big difference maker is that the 110L bag, with good wheels, just weighs ~4.5lbs.
I have a couple Pelican Air 1615s I bought for dive travels but they just aren't worth the hassle I get from the airlines. The airlines, when seeing a Pelican, want to automatically send me to the overweight/sized luggage section or they put it in the oversized/ sports conveyor without telling me.

When we started diving we got the regular Pelicans. If I knew I had to fly on a puddle jumper (i.e. from Grand Cayman to Brac) I might pack my regulator and camera in my little Pelican, but otherwise, they're too heavy before you put anything in them! I guess just 'looking like' the regular Pelicans make the airlines assume they'll be oversized? That stinks.

When we started diving we got the regular Pelicans. If I knew I had to fly on a puddle jumper (i.e. from Grand Cayman to Brac) I might pack my regulator and camera in my little Pelican, but otherwise, they're too heavy before you put anything in them! I guess just 'looking like' the regular Pelicans make the airlines assume they'll be oversized? That stinks.
Pelican cases come in all sizes, so the whole idea that they are oversized is silly.

Opportunity shop?

Australian and New Zealand. a shop selling second-hand goods for charitable funds.

I use the e bags 29” mother lode with a couple of straps around it. I paid about $110 on sale. Is is on its second trip. So far it is ok.

Back
Top Bottom