Fishing for Goliath Grouper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@greeniguana I wouldn’t say there’s no data. Here is a presentation from Chris Koenig PhD, FSU Coastal & Marine Laboratory, on the research he’s done on GG.

Also, if there’s no data as you say they have no business opening the fishery to even a limited hunt until they have the data to justify it.

Koenig focused on mercury, I thought. But I could be wrong.

I've been a biologist in FL for over 20 years. I am from FL and I've been diving in FL for 35 years. I'm not going to argue with youtube.

Please send me a peer reviewed paper that has population data.

I've been a biologist in FL for over 20 years. I am from FL and I've been diving in FL for 35 years. I'm not going to argue with youtube.

… and if one doesn’t exist why is an opening of the fishery even being discussed?

… and if one doesn’t exist why is an opening of the fishery even being discussed?

Because, FWC.

https://myfwc.com/media/26546/7b-presentation-goliathgrouper.pdf

to wit:
Managers, researchers, and fishermen have and continue to observe increasing numbers of
goliath in Florida. Scientists have attempted to quantify rebuilding progress for goliath since
the closure in 1990 through the federal stock assessment process three times (2004, 2010,
and 2016). Each assessment was rejected by independent expert reviewers.
The federal
fishery management councils’ scientific advisors also rejected the assessments for use in
federal management. Some of the reasons why the assessments were rejected include
unknowns about life history (e.g., uncertainty about maximum age), the absence long-term
datasets (e.g., landings), uncertainty regarding historical landings, and lack of information
about the stock outside the southeastern U.S.

While the smaller GG's are more desirable for table fare, it's the 300# and up population that is ravaging the reefs and wrecks and need to be culled.

What exactly does ravaging the reefs and wrecks mean? What is the basis for the claim of said reef and wreck ravaging. Not arguing, just asking for elaboration.

Biologist in what, pray tell?

What type is the grouper that is usually served in Florida?
Johnoly gave you the usual grouper species. Occasionally, you’ll find others, but it’s usually gag, black (carbo), and red. Depending on time of year and location. Especially with gags and blacks. You usually won’t see Gag Grouper on a menu for obvious reasons.

But…

Don't even get me started on 'Fake Grouper' being sold as grouper in restaruants
…Yeah, this is, unfortunately, still an issue. The type of fish served as grouper in restaurants varies. At the nicer single restaurants, or restaurants that are part of a local group, you’ll probably be getting grouper. At smaller dives, or large chains, the grouper may very well be a type of freshwater fish.

Locally, I only eat seafood from a handful of restaurants. Usually, they run their own boats, so not only is it grouper, but it’s also quite fresh.

Basa, tilapia or swai.
Rarely regulated with any vigor. Very common, in fact more likely in many cases to get fake fish anywhere than the higher priced premium fish.
US grouper are $6 plus or minus a buck or two a pound either way for whole gutted fish. Yield is 50%ish so dock value is say $10 a pound for fillets and up.
Cheaper fish is normally foreign if it is the actual species and likely coming from overfished areas using near slave labor to harvest.
Also mostly foreign and typically grown in questionable conditions are the basa , swai and tilapia.
Real quandary exists in trying to purchase ethically harvested and sustainably fished grouper, snapper and hogfish unless you see the fish being unloaded.
Believing that 9.95 1/2 pound grouper sammich and sides is really grouper is foolish. Believing you are getting what you pay for without seeing the actual fish or readily identifiable packaging is sheer hopefulness.
My early commercial career involved selling a lot of wormy amberjack for fish nuggets and sammiches to tourists and fast food chains. Yum yum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom